Adobe InDesign/Indesign cs6 tool box etc does not show up

Question
Hi, I've been using Indesign for a long time and I've never had this problem before. Whenever I launch Indesign cs6 (new doc or existing doc) I have no control bar, no tool box, nothing. This just started happening recently, it didn't do it when I first got the software upgraded. So I have to manually get them, which is a pain because I have an old PC so if I want to use Photoshop or Illustrator I have to quit out of it because my computer bogs down if I have more than one graphics program open at the same time. I read about doing a "control/alt/shift" when the program launches to reset the preferences but I haven't been able to get that to come up. Any suggestions?

Answer
Hi Sheila,

Thank you for your question.

Have you saved your workspace? If not, set up your space - without a document being open - with the tool box, control bar, panels, shortcuts and menus customisation and then go to Window > Workspace > Save Workspace.
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/indesigbe n/cs/using/WSa285fff53dea4f8617383751001ea8cb3f-6d6ea.html
Once you've saved/created a new workspace - close down indesign. Then re-open it and it should show your workspace as you've saved it. If not go to Window and then choose the name of the workspace ie 'Sheila workspace' - you just saved and it will load. You may have to teach the program to make 'Sheila workspace' the one that you want it to use when the program opens by repeating the process if it does not load when you open it.

This method is the one I would use afirst and then try deleting the preferences as a last resort.
Deleting the preferences I would suggest would be - for example when the content of menus or panels don't show properly - like the paragraph panel when you click on it - doesn't show all the options etc.

To delete the preferences - close the program down then hold down the Command-Option-Shift-Ctrl keys (on Windows, hold down Control-Alt-Shift) while you start the program up again by clicking on the shortcut icon on your desktop. It might take some practice getting it to do it but it should then come up with a box with the message - “Delete InDesign Preferences File?” Release the keys and click Yes. InDesign will complete the boot-up process and start a fresh. Then its a case of re-creating your workspace and menu options etc as I've described earlier.

Useful links - http://indesignsecrets.com/rebuilding-indesign-preferences.php

http://designersbookshop.tenderapp.com/kb/grid-calculator-pro-edition/clear-pref

Hope that helps, any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

H Louise

Adobe InDesign

H Louise