I want to make my table of contents in indesign interactive so that when I export to PDF and you click on the page number it automatically goes to that page.

Is there an automatic way to do this, say when making a table of contents?

Thank you.

Hi Ndugs,

Thank you for your question.

Sounds like you might want to create hyperlinks? Here's a link, the section under Page is the one I think would be most relevant to you -

Another method would be to create links via buttons.
How to link to a place in an interactive PDF document via Buttons:

1) Create Bookmarks on the pages you want to link to. (Make a text in the top of the page in 'paper color' and create a bookmark from that)

2) Button action "Go to destination" -> Bookmark.

A link with step by step options on what sounds like the same thing you want to do -

Useful links -

Here's a great step by step video on interactive pdfs and shows you how to create text fields and forms etc in indesign. It also shows you how to do scrollable fields and options and checklists etc.

Hope that helps. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Thanks H Louise

Adobe InDesign

H Louise

I am an artworker in the newspaper industry working with both newspaper and glossy products. I can answer most questions on the Adobe Creative Suite CS3 (Indesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat Professional), however please note that I am not as experienced in the use of Illustrator. I also have experience in QuarkXpress, Property software and Photography.

I have been working in the newspaper industry since 2007. I started in QuarkXpress before moving over to the Indesign software.

I have qualifications in art and design as well as a degree in media.