Adobe Photoshop/fonts

If I were to design a book cover for my self help book, let's say it's "Improve your Mind" or something, what would be the best fonts and colors for such a thing?
Any ideas will be appreciated.

Hello Demetrius,

Start by going to a bookstore and see what covers catch your eye, look in the self-help section to see what others authors of this genre are doing. Once you have a few ideas, then you can start designing a cover.

Stick with a bold simple font - you don't want it too scripty or it'll look like a romance novel, too novel a font can be illegible. I personally liked the covers of Paul Krugman's 'End This Depression Now' and Joseph Stiglitz's 'Freefall' - simple black on white with a minimum of graphics and color.

There have been volumes written about choosing color, if you have a picture on the cover you can select a color from the image and pick out one or two contrasting color to use as well - stick to a small palette, two or three colors that work well together. You can check out this website for ideas, how-tos and inspiration;

Hope this helps,

Adobe Photoshop

Glen Demers

I am an Adobe Certified Expert in Photoshop 7 and can answer any questions dealing with images for print; resolution, color correction, color space, sharpening and retouching. I am a prepress technician for Best Printing Online and if you want to know how to prepare your image for offset reproduction, I can help.

I've been working in the prepress aspect of printing for 25 years and am currently a prepress technician for Best Printing Online
I've worked with Photoshop since 1994 and have used all versions from 3 to CS3. I'm an ACE (Adobe certified expert) in Photoshop 7.0

I graduated High School and took 1 year of College level offset printing course. I've attended 2 Photoshop World conferences and taken numerous seminars pertaining to Photoshop and the print industry.