Adobe Photoshop/Photoshop Keyline/Stroke Effect

Hi Kevin:  What I am trying to accomplish in Photoshop CS5 is a stroke or keyline  effect on a layer but not on the outside edge.  For example if I have an image of say a sunset at the beach, I want to have an outline/stroke/keyline that is inset in the picture about 20% inside the outer edge of the picture.  Like a box inside the picture.  I tried creating a duplicate layer then dragging out a box by hand approximately where I wanted, selecting the inverse and deleting the approximate 20% outer section and then stroking the remainder of the duplicate layer which gives the effect of a stroke or keyline inside the image.  The problem is that I cant ever drag out the box perfectly centered on the duplicate layer.  Is there a way for me to be more precise by telling photoshop to delete 20% of the edge of the duplicate layer instead of having to drag and draw out a box?

hi Bruce,

Have you tried using Layer Styles/Effects? They have a stroke option that you can align to the inside and add as much as you want measured in PX. Either double click the layer, or go to the FX symbol at the bottom of the layers panel with the layer selected.

This should achieve the look you are going for. If you want it exactly 20%, you will have to calculate that before adding the stroke. It only measures in px.

Adobe Photoshop

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Photoshop and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Photoshop as a professional graphic designer and retoucher since 1994. I also am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World