Adobe Photoshop/How to Round Select Corners of An Image Or Shape

QUESTION: Hello, I've been all over the net trying to find out how do I round off only ONE or TWO corners of an image or a shape. I've only read how to do this in Illustrator and Fireworks but not Photoshop. I know how to round all of the corners with an image using the shape tool and creating a layer mask and vector mask but how would I round off just one or two corners? This is the shape that I am trying to create here: .

I look forward to your response. Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Dalila,

The way to do this is a little convoluted but not too hard.

1. make the shape with all 4 corners rounded. (Rounded Rectangle Tool)
2. use the "Delete Anchor Point Tool" (it's grouped with the Pen Tool) and delete two of the anchor points on the corners you want to be square, it will look weird.
3. use the "Convert Anchor Point Tool" (also grouped with the Pen Tool) and click the points you want to be square.

Sorry for the slow reply, I was out of town.

QUESTION: Well, I did as you instructed. After using the "Convert Anchor Point Tool", the corners did square off a bit but it wasn't sharp, well-defined corners. I used the "Rectangular Marquee Tool" and just cleared that corner and then copied and pasted a similar area into the area that was cleared. I then used the "Patch Tool" to smooth/blend the area.

Luckily, the actions that I took worked with the type of image I was working with so there was no distortion or weirdness. It is more simple, well less tedious, to do this in Fireworks. Adobe (for Photoshop) should really create a plug-in or feature in the "Shape Tool" somewhere where you can choose the number of corners (rather round or square) should be rounded or squared.

Thank you so much for your response. I do appreciate your time.

Yes. I agree that the Rounded Rectangle Tool is not very good in Photoshop, all of the shape tools in that group of tools are tricky because they don't snap to pixels, so the sides and corners end up getting anti-aliasing, which makes them appear soft. Fireworks is much better at vector shapes at low resolutions for the web.

Whenever I use a rectangle tool, I get it close, then zoom in to 300% or so and select the nodes on one end (with the Direct Selection Tool) and nudge with the arrow keys until I see a solid line. I do this on all 4 sides.

I enjoy answering these questions. So no thanks is necessary.

Adobe Photoshop

Dan Loffler

I can help with specific "How To" questions. No Photoshop Elements questions please.

I have been using Photoshop every day in my work as an Art Director and Graphic Artist since 1993 with version 2.5. I am currently employed as a Creative Director in Miami. I have taught computer graphics classes at CompUSA, Computer City. I currently teach a crash course on Photoshop to digital photographers on Digital Photography Corner's Digital Photography Cruises. I have worked as a personal Photoshop tutor for clients as far away as Seoul Korea.