Adobe Photoshop/create an interchangeable mask

hi there,

i'm looking to create a customizable template, using which i can create unique postcards to send to clients using images i've taken of them (i'm a photographer).

so what i'd like to do is create my template with two-three shapes/layers in my .psd file that can be interchanged with different clients' photos. does that make sense?

i know i can do this the long way and create a clipping mask for each photo - but is there a way using a fill layer (or other means) that i can set up my template, and just sub-in photos with no extra steps?

thanks so much!

Hi Sandy,

I think I understand what you want to do.

The easiest way would be to put your postcard background on top of the image layer with a window in it (a whole) for the picture to show through. Then import your image to a layer below the postcard background. If you lock the postcard background layer you will be able to click the image below it to move resize etc. Make sense?

I hope this helps.

Adobe Photoshop

Dan Loffler

I can help with specific "How To" questions. No Photoshop Elements questions please.

I have been using Photoshop every day in my work as an Art Director and Graphic Artist since 1993 with version 2.5. I am currently employed as a Creative Director in Miami. I have taught computer graphics classes at CompUSA, Computer City. I currently teach a crash course on Photoshop to digital photographers on Digital Photography Corner's Digital Photography Cruises. I have worked as a personal Photoshop tutor for clients as far away as Seoul Korea.