Adobe Photoshop/Elements 5 not reponding

Just recently Elements 5 is not responding.  I am using Firefox
Browser and Windows 7.  It has been working for the past few
months and just quit responding.  I get a window "action could not
be completed because application is not responding.  It may still
be loading or waiting for a response from you".  I do get the
main Adobe window with the different places to go to, but they
don't respond and then I get the window listing all persons responsible for writing Elements 5.  After that, a blank white
window. I have uninstalled and installed the software on 3 different
occasions.  A friend took it home and downloaded disk and it did
open.  Something tells me that perhaps one of my settings is wrong.
I am not computer savvy and have no idea what setting if any to
look at.  There is amply memory left in my system.  Thank you  If this is not your expertise, please direct me to proper All Experts
Volunteer.  I have Elements 8 which works well, however I am just
more comfortable with 5.

Hi Robert,

Unfortunately Elements 5 is not supported on windows 7 and your system has probably updated past the point of compatibility. The last supported system was windows vista. Your friend loading it would only be significant if they had the same system setup as you do.

I get these kinds of questions frequently about outdated software and unfortunately the answer is never easy. The only way to insure that old software remains compatible is to never update your system software. Elements 12 is the latest version which was built for windows 7&8. However Elements 8 will run in 32 bit mode on Windows 7.

Adobe Photoshop

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Photoshop and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Photoshop as a professional graphic designer and retoucher since 1994. I also am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World