Adobe Photoshop/correct color

For me, the best way to get the true color of a damaged photo, is to take the lasso tool and get a small sample (around 3/8 of the image) and then apply auto tone. I almost always like the results but have a problem getting the rest of the image to match it. How do I do that? I will attach a small part to show the difference in colors after doing the (lasso- auto tone). I am unable to match the sample I have taken to the rest of the image.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Color correcting is a subjective art with some conventions. So what you do will not be the same as another person. The driving factor of a successful technique is accuracy and efficiency. In other words, if you are saving time and getting better results, then it works. However keep your eye open for other techniques. There is always something to learn.

That said, I never use auto tone, auto color, etc. I also do not use the lasso tool to get a sample. So I cannot really help you using those methods. I do it all manually in a few second process. I teach it as part of a course available online (and my books). However, if you dig enough through my videos on our Youtube channel, you'll get some ideas: I do it all manually and quickly.

Color correction is based on good contrast. If you have good contrast, you can improve color. Try to start with the overall image (no selections). Work with the Levels command. Use the white and black sliders and bring them to the edge of the histogram (mountain) in each color channel. From there, it's as easy as pie.

Again, you have a very different method than me. So it's hard to advise you.

Adobe Photoshop

Eric C. M. Basir

Ask me about anything related to working on your photos in Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Photoshop Elements: Tools, functions, color, contrast, manipulation, restoration and scanning.

Since 1999, I have served as a digital photo retoucher for companies of all sizes, including United Airlines, K-Mart. I also serve individuals with their personal photos. This includes training through my video courses. Ask me about anything related to working on your photos: Color, contrast, manipulation, restoration, software, hardware. I run a no-charge photo retouching and restoration how-to YouTube channel here: I also run a blog full of great advice:

Genealogical Speakers Guild

Numerous genealogical society quarterlies The Photo Grafix Blog

Columbia College Chicago City University of New York

Iqra International Educational Foundation Publications International Creatista Azizah Magazine Sears K-Mart C-Line Products, Inc. Promogul True Modern Harappa Tucker-Knapp United Airlines Folks like you!