Adobe Photoshop/transparant background

I keep having the same need in my design work and for some reason cannot figure out how to remove the white background on a piece of art. Whether it is a line drawing or high contrast photo. In this current case I have scanned a signature and I want to overlay it on another piece of art in either illustrator or PS. I am using CS-5.
I need to end up with a jpeg file. Thank you

Hi Marianne,
So do you have problem in making the image transparent?
or do you want your transparent image to remain transparent after saving it as a jpeg?

if its the second thing, jpeg doesn't support transparency. You will have to save it as a PNG file for it.

Let me know if u need further guidance
- Kamal Krishna

Adobe Photoshop

Kamal Krishna

I am a Photoshop professional and have been using the tool since 1998. Since then I have been constantly upgrading myself with the newer versions of the same. Please feel free to ask me for issues or difficulties, be it technical or creative. I am here to help.

About 17years, I have been using photoshop since it was 3.0 extensively for print media, animation, presentations, broadcast designs, mobile content etc.

Bachelor of Science(Computers)

Brainbench Certified for Adobe Photoshop 7.0, Adobe Photoshop 6.0, Adobe Photoshop 5.5.