Adobe Photoshop/transparant background

Question
I keep having the same need in my design work and for some reason cannot figure out how to remove the white background on a piece of art. Whether it is a line drawing or high contrast photo. In this current case I have scanned a signature and I want to overlay it on another piece of art in either illustrator or PS. I am using CS-5.
I need to end up with a jpeg file. Thank you

Answer
Hi Marianne,
So do you have problem in making the image transparent?
or do you want your transparent image to remain transparent after saving it as a jpeg?

if its the second thing, jpeg doesn't support transparency. You will have to save it as a PNG file for it.

Let me know if u need further guidance
- Kamal Krishna

Adobe Photoshop

Kamal Krishna