Adobe Photoshop/Photoshop Multichannel

Hello Dan
thanks in advance for your advice and help.

I have a project where I am converting images from CMYK to Multichannel in order to swap out the Cyan for a PMS color. As soon as I switch to Multichannel, the image reddens up quite some. I know it has to do with the View Gamut in Photoshop, and that it goes away upon the RIP for printing, but it is hard to work with color accurately whit the added Red. Do you know of any way to remove the color shift?
I am on a Mac Powerbook running OS X 10.7.5 with Adobe CS4

Hi Lonn,

I have done this kind of thing before, my kudos to you, it can be challenging.

I don't know how to change the view gamut for only the multi-chanel preview. But I think you should work in CMYK until you are absolutely happy with the result, then as the last step change it to multichannel, you will need to visualize in your mind the Cyan channel as your spot color. If for instance you are adding text or a logo in your spot color, just make it 100% cyan.

I have not done this in a while because most modern presses are 6 colors or more, have you spoken to your printer as to the best way to provide the graphics? You might be better off doing it in Adobe Illustrator or InDesign and just adding the spot color in there.

I hope this helps.

Adobe Photoshop

Dan Loffler

I can help with specific "How To" questions. No Photoshop Elements questions please.

I have been using Photoshop every day in my work as an Art Director and Graphic Artist since 1993 with version 2.5. I am currently employed as a Creative Director in Miami. I have taught computer graphics classes at CompUSA, Computer City. I currently teach a crash course on Photoshop to digital photographers on Digital Photography Corner's Digital Photography Cruises. I have worked as a personal Photoshop tutor for clients as far away as Seoul Korea.