Adobe Photoshop/Filters in Essentials

"I have Photoshop Essentials 10. I am working with a 4x5 B/W negative and am trying to apply the Old Paper filter. I can't get it to work. It worked fine a few days ago, but now most of the filters I try either do not work or they pop up a message saying they are not currently available. Some pop up a message saying Hue/Saturation is not currently available. Most of the filters that do come up, only lighten the picture and wash out the blacks. I have tried going to "Image>Mode>RGB color" as some sites have suggested and I have tried the Grayscale also, neither makes any difference. Do you have any suggestions as to what the problem might be and how to solve it?  Thank You....Gene"

Hi Gene,

The Old Paper filter will only work in RGB mode, so the other sites were correct. Once you change your color mode to RGB, it should be available to you. However, if you have placed this in a frame or done anything else to the image prior to this, it can effect your availability to use these filters. Here is the notes from Elements 10 release:

"Filters and limited effects on photo layers: Filters and some effects (Recessed Frame, Blizzard, Old Paper, Old Photo, and Pencil Sketch) from the Artwork and Effects palettes don't work on photo layers. Use filters on photos before placing them into frames, or simplify the layer using the Layer > Simplify Layer command on the photo layer, and then apply the filter."

Try that and see if it helps.

Adobe Photoshop

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Photoshop and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Photoshop as a professional graphic designer and retoucher since 1994. I also am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World