Adobe Photoshop/Filters in Essentials

I have Photoshop Essentials 10. I am working with a 4x5 B/W negative and am trying to apply the Old Paper filter. I can't get it to work. It worked fine a few days ago, but now most of the filters I try either do not work or they pop up a message saying they are not currently available. Some pop up a message saying Hue/Saturation is not currently available. Most of the filters that do come up, only lighten the picture and wash out the blacks. I have tried going to "Image>Mode>RGB color" as some sites have suggested and I have tried the Grayscale also, neither makes any difference. Do you have any suggestions as to what the problem might be and how to solve it?  Thank You....Gene

What exactly did you use to scan the negative? I'm wondering if you have the scanner settings on an unusual setting. Maybe your scan is corrupted. I suggest you re-scan and make sure it is in 8-bit. PSE does not handle 16-bit color well. Maybe you can attach a small version of file.

Adobe Photoshop

Eric C. M. Basir

Ask me about anything related to working on your photos in Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Photoshop Elements: Tools, functions, color, contrast, manipulation, restoration and scanning.

Since 1999, I have served as a digital photo retoucher for companies of all sizes, including United Airlines, K-Mart. I also serve individuals with their personal photos. This includes training through my video courses. Ask me about anything related to working on your photos: Color, contrast, manipulation, restoration, software, hardware. I run a no-charge photo retouching and restoration how-to YouTube channel here: I also run a blog full of great advice:

Genealogical Speakers Guild

Numerous genealogical society quarterlies The Photo Grafix Blog

Columbia College Chicago City University of New York

Iqra International Educational Foundation Publications International Creatista Azizah Magazine Sears K-Mart C-Line Products, Inc. Promogul True Modern Harappa Tucker-Knapp United Airlines Folks like you!