Adobe Photoshop/Photoshop 7 startup

Hi Kevin,
 You helped me before on a few issues and I'm hoping you can again. I have Photoshop 7.01 that I'm running on Win XP pro, I've had it for years with no problem. It's an upgrade version, I started with 3 I believe. But it's definitely paid for and legitimate.

When I click on my desktop PS7 shortcut, I've started getting this message right after the Adobe splash screen comes up: "Cannot complete your request due to missing or invalid personalization information." This is odd because I did of course have to enter all that for it to work in the first place.

I should mention that this happened once before a few months ago and I ended up having to reinstall PS which worked fine until last week, now it happened again. Reinstalling is a pain though because of all the KPT and Eyecandy sort of filters, which need to be validated also. I thought you might know a) why this might be happening, and b)if there's any way to just enter in the information (I assume serial #)it wants through a shortcut of some kind. Like in the Photoshop folder, etc. Hope that's clear.
Thanks very much!

Hi Blue,

Unfortunately, you have probably updated your system past the point of compatibility with Photoshop 7. The software is over 10 years out of date and with no way to upgrade PS to keep it compatible with your system, each time your computer updated XP it went further out of sync.

You can try to reinstall, but it is only a band-aid on a much larger issue. I wish I had a magic answer, but Adobe no longer supports this at all and I have no way to fix this.

As for removing personal information or the licensing, I would highly recommend against attempting this. It will only corrupt your copy further and in some cases make it difficult to uninstall/reinstall. I would just go through and reinstall like before.

Adobe Photoshop

Kevin Stohlmeyer

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor, Adobe Community Professional and Adobe Freelance Professional. I travel nationally speaking on Adobe Creative Suite applications, including Illustrator and design. I can answer questions about Adobe Illustrator version CS1 through the all-new Creative Cloud.

I am an Adobe Certified Instructor for Adobe Photoshop and have been teaching this software in college/higher education and for an Adobe Authorized Training Center since 2000. I have been an active user of Adobe Photoshop as a professional graphic designer and retoucher since 1994. I also am a published author for Adobe Inspire Magazine, writing articles on Creative Suite applications including Photoshop, Illustrator and the Adobe Touch apps.

Adobe Freelancers Program Adobe Influencers Program Milwaukee Adobe Users Group AIGA National Association of Photoshop Professionals C2 Graphics Productivity Solutions

Adobe Inspire Magazine Photoshop User Magazine Layers Magazine

BA - Graphic Design Adobe Certified Instructor - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Adobe Community Professional - Adobe Creative Suite

Member, Adobe Influencers Program and Adobe Freelancer Member Spotlight, National Association of Photoshop Professionals, November 2011 Runner-Up, The Next Adobe Photoshop Evangelist contest, 2010, 2011 Runner-Up Layers Magazine Design Contest

Harley Davidson, Reader's Digest, GE Medical Division, Kohl's Corporate, Bon-Ton/Boston Stores, Cramer-Krasselt, Marquette University, AIGA, Mattel/American Girl, Photoshop World