Adobe Photoshop/spot colour

QUESTION: Hi there

IM a painter, ive done some paintings i'd like to screen print onto tshirts.

The printers suggest separating the colours into separate layers

this painting in particular (red/yellow) (top second right) on this website:

The idea being 3 screens -  one screen for the red, one for the yellow and one for the black.

What would be the best way to do this in Photoshop?...a method to preserve as much of the painted looks as possible (half tones?)

Many Thanks

ANSWER: Good question David. But I need more information from the printer. I would suggest breaking out the channels from a CMYK conversion as separate grayscale files. I'm somewhat curious why they are asking you to do it, as this is usually part of their job. Did they send you specific requirements, such as color mode (CMYK possibly?) and file format? Also color profile (I presume a Euro type).

With best regards,
Eric C. M. Basir

P.S. correction: I may have submitted this as a final answer on accident. Sorry. If you need to resend as a new question, please do so.

QUESTION: yes i think cmyk conversion was mentioned (and spot colour).

They suggested i do it to save money..

How do i go about it?

Ive read about "bitmap" too for half tones....would that be helpful too?

Can you send me more specifics? It's very hard to help you without knowing what they need exactly. Spot color and CMYK are different printing processes. Bitmap can be a file format or a fancy word for photos. To convert to CMYK, you need their preferred color profile. What version of Photoshop are you using. I can tell you how to convert (in PS5 it's menu Edit=Convert to Profile).

Adobe Photoshop

Eric C. M. Basir

Ask me about anything related to working on your photos in Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Photoshop Elements: Tools, functions, color, contrast, manipulation, restoration and scanning.

Since 1999, I have served as a digital photo retoucher for companies of all sizes, including United Airlines, K-Mart. I also serve individuals with their personal photos. This includes training through my video courses. Ask me about anything related to working on your photos: Color, contrast, manipulation, restoration, software, hardware. I run a no-charge photo retouching and restoration how-to YouTube channel here: I also run a blog full of great advice:

Genealogical Speakers Guild

Numerous genealogical society quarterlies The Photo Grafix Blog

Columbia College Chicago City University of New York

Iqra International Educational Foundation Publications International Creatista Azizah Magazine Sears K-Mart C-Line Products, Inc. Promogul True Modern Harappa Tucker-Knapp United Airlines Folks like you!