Adobe Photoshop/Can't figure it out

Dan, I have a simple project I'm working on.  What I want to do and can't figure out is how to add a hard edge to the shield.  I figured out how to use the selection tool to capture just the outside of the shield, but I don't know how to add a dark red edge just to the shield and not the whole image.

Could you give me a few hints on how to do this?

Thanks for any advice,

Hi Don,

The way I would do it is to make a Layer out of the selection. Do this by pressing CTRL+J while you have a selection, this makes a new layer out of the selection.

Then I would add a layer effect. At the bottom of the layers palette is a button that looks like a "fx". Try the Stroke effect, that one will probably give you the desired effect.

Adobe Photoshop

Dan Loffler

I can help with specific "How To" questions. No Photoshop Elements questions please.

I have been using Photoshop every day in my work as an Art Director and Graphic Artist since 1993 with version 2.5. I am currently employed as a Creative Director in Miami. I have taught computer graphics classes at CompUSA, Computer City. I currently teach a crash course on Photoshop to digital photographers on Digital Photography Corner's Digital Photography Cruises. I have worked as a personal Photoshop tutor for clients as far away as Seoul Korea.