Adobe Photoshop/Questions Answered by Expert Dan Loffler

SubjectDate Asked
Recreating an effect5/20/2016
  Q: Is there a way to recreate the white background effect on these letters? Font: Playfair Display SC ...
  A: Yes. There is a way. Select the blue text layer and apply a Drop Shadow FX, set the Spread:0, ...
Turning or twisting the Marquee5/6/2016
  Q: I am trying to use an elliptical tool to help me erase part of the end of a product we sell so that ...
  A: I'm pretty sure I understand. What you want to do is, get the ellipse as close as possible, then ...
Drag and Move original size images to another image to have same original size.3/21/2016
  Q: 1. I am getting frustrated and aggravated about this and hope that you can help me with this. Okay, ...
  A: I am sorry to tell you that pixels are pixels. Photoshop will not add or take away pixels when you ...
photoshop question10/20/2015
  Q: I am a researcher and looking for a simple way to figure out a problem. My project is essentially ...
  A: Photoshop will not be able to do the calculations for your percentages. Sorry. If you can redo the ...
Can't figure it out5/27/2015
  Q: Dan, I have a simple project I'm working on. What I want to do and can't figure out is how to add a ...
  A: The way I would do it is to make a Layer out of the selection. Do this by pressing CTRL+J while you ...
Hello4/1/2015
  Q: Hope u are having good day Can you tell my how to vectorize an image in Photoshop without spoiling ...
  A: To vectorized an image is to change it to vector "objects" from pixels. When I vectorize an image in ...
mix & match PS channels1/7/2015
  Q: Is it possible to take the Black sep/channel from image-A and paste it into image-B's Black channel, ...
  A: This is very easy to do. Just open the Channels window. To do this go to the top and choose Windows ...
Image conversion6/8/2014
  Q: i have a image and i want to convert it in .jpg/.jpeg format, 140*60 pixel and size limit 10-20 kb ...
  A: It is easy to do this in Adobe Photoshop. First resize the image ... [Image]-[Image Size] in there ...
purpose of layers and masking11/11/2013
  Q: i am an absolute beginner in photoshop and i dont understand layers and masking.... what is the ...
  A: Think of it as a better Eraser Tool. I almost never use the Eraser Tool on a layer. When you use a ...
Sizing10/16/2013
  Q: First question - With Photoshop CS5 I am stumped wanting to make larger than standard images. ...
  A: Your thinking in inches like we humans tend to do ;). But Photoshop thinks in pixels, so to answer ...
Seamless repeatable tile9/13/2013
  Q: I need to know the easiest and fastest way to make a seamleas repeatable tile For fabric printing. ...
  A: You will not be able to use the image you sent me because it needs to have the entire flower or all ...
Photoshop Multichannel7/22/2013
  Q: I have a project where I am converting images from CMYK to Multichannel in order to swap out the ...
  A: I have done this kind of thing before, my kudos to you, it can be challenging. I don't know how to ...
Contrast6/7/2013
  Q: Greetings Dan, i have both CS4 and CS6 on my dock. I put an image into Photoshop (either one) - ...
  A: It's possible you are in Quick Mask (at the bottom of the Tool Bar) it's easy to enter Quick Mask by ...
Layer Tecture4/13/2013
  Q: Take a look at the attached image. If you look at the image you notice that the light green fades to ...
  A: Duplicating that effect is not going to be easy, and it would take many hours of trial and error to ...
"Analog" effect how to2/5/2013
  Q: Loffler, I have been trying to get the following effect: ...
  A: You might try Lighten or Darken layer blend mode. I would try different blend modes, "Difference" ...
create an interchangeable mask1/10/2013
  Q: i'm looking to create a customizable template, using which i can create unique postcards to send to ...
  A: I think I understand what you want to do. The easiest way would be to put your postcard background ...
Query12/27/2012
  Q: Good day I am trying to switch to one color and it is automatically changing to another. For ...
  A: sorry about the late reply, I was out of the country and had no internet. If you are working in ...
Adobe Question12/14/2012
  Q: Good day Got the following questions 1. I designed a logo in illustrator and had to convert a part ...
  A: I'm pretty sure that a PNG can only be RGB. So the colors are interpreted into CMYK values. I don't ...
How to Round Select Corners of An Image Or Shape11/17/2012
  Q: I've been all over the net trying to find out how do I round off only ONE or TWO corners of an image ...
  A: The way to do this is a little convoluted but not too hard. 1. make the shape with all 4 corners ...
query7/25/2012
  Q: Good day With reference to Adobe Photoshop I have the following question. I have 4 or 5 separate ...
  A: Sorry for the late reply. You can select the different image layers from the Layers pallet by ...
Ref: question1/16/2012
  Q: Good day Can you give me a list of as many techniques on can use in graphic design to communicate ...
  A: I did a Google search for "emotion in graphic design" and found many good articles, blogs and ...
replace old text on a map11/11/2011
  Q: I have a map as a.jpg file. The cities are called by their Romanian names. I wish to change these to ...
  A: Here's how I would do it. I would make a copy of the Background layer, you do this by dragging the ...
Diploma font shading10/6/2011
  Q: I've been trying to figure out exactly how to achieve this effect, but I can't seem to figure it ...
  A: The sample looks hand engraved, as are many official documents. So it's not a font or effect created ...
actions - file naming9/2/2008
  Q: For the life of me, I cannot figure this out! please help: My coworkers and I use a PS action that I ...
  A: I don't know the answer to this. But if you are using [File]-[Automate...]-[Batch...] there is a ...
inserting/pasting html codes9/1/2008
  Q: I created a form and received the html codes to insert/paste on my website. I couldn't find ...
  A: You cannot design "working" forms in Photoshop. You can only layout the graphics and slice them up ...
Preparing Image for the Web8/5/2008
  Q: I am hoping you can help me out. I have been given four different images that I need to post on a ...
  A: Without seeing the image I can only give you some tips and rules of thumb. 1. How you save images ...
HELP!! Spot Colour7/15/2008
  Q: I was working on a business card in Photoshop. I had it in CMYK mode. The printers suggetsed I use ...
  A: Although you can work in Photoshop in spot color, it is not ideal. It's better to do spot color work ...
How to Change background color6/14/2008
  Q: I'm doing a poster for my final year project and I've created a compilation of pictures and words in ...
  A: On the bottom of the tool bar is two boxes. These boxes are your Foreground and Background colors by ...
Shattered Glass6/4/2008
  Q: How would I get a shattered glass effect like this: ...
  A: Your example is original artwork, the shattered glass is part of a hand drawn illustration. It is ...
eraser tool5/26/2008
  Q: I used to be able to take out a spot that did not belong on a print with the eraser tool. Photoshop ...
  A: The eraser tool will fill the area with the "Background" color (unless you are working on a layer, ...
Pixelated Images5/20/2008
  Q: When I create graphics in photoshop to use on my myspace they always appear fine on my computer ...
  A: Here are a few tips for images created for the web ... Size: It's always best to create (or save a ...
adobe help5/12/2008
  Q: I'm trying to scan 5 pages of a document but keep them in one adobe file. I am only able to scan ...
  A: Not from Photoshop. But you can save the pages as Adobe Photoshop PDF format and then combine them ...
too 'pixel-ed'5/8/2008
  Q: i have an image that i really like but when i enlarge it the pixels make the image very ugly since ...
  A: The cold hard truth is no. There is nothing you, or anyone else, can do to make a low resolution ...
Text In Photoshop4/24/2008
  Q: I'm trying to make simple web graphics with text (308x35 pixels for example) and the text quality ...
  A: You are probably not doing it right. Try different Anti-Alias settings, they are found at the bottom ...
photoshop print filenames4/10/2008
  Q: I'd like to print the filename/path in small print on the bottom of my photoshop (or indesign) ...
  A: It is easy to print the file names from Photoshop. Just use [Print with preview...] then click the ...
Radial Blur (spin) in Photoshop 73/10/2008
  Q: I have several automotive images that I would like to apply a radial blur (spin) to. What I am ...
  A: I don't have my copy of Motor Trend handy but I think I have the general idea. I think it will be ...
Help!1/13/2008
  Q: I am doing a project where I have to convert a movie character into a sandcastle. I want it to look ...
  A: Couldn't you have picked something a little easier? I found a couple of tutorials on making a statue ...
Client Ad with Spot Color and Black (process)1/11/2008
  Q: We use custom software to convert all inhouse and client for our press. Lately, in clients ads ...
  A: The problem is in the naming of the channels (plates). Quark calls the K channel "Process Black" ...
Combine two images12/11/2007
  Q: I am trying to "glue" to images together to make one continuous image in photoshop. All the help ...
  A: First expand the canvas -- [Image]-[Canvas Size...]. This will bring up a dialog box that is pretty ...
importing editable paths from illustrator into photoshop11/7/2007
  Q: How do I copy a path from adobe illustrator and paste it into adobe photoshop and still have an ...
  A: Photoshop will ask you when you paste to choose []Smart Object (Photoshop CS and newer) []Pixels ...
Editing PDF Files11/1/2007
  Q: Can I edit text/images in the PDF files using PHOTOSHOP 7.0
  A: No. Not exactly. When you open a PDF in Photoshop it renders it into an image. You can edit any ...
curve10/19/2007
  Q: hi im new to photoshop cs and was wondering if u can curve an image so it will fit on a clinder ...
  A: You may have some luck playing with the "Liquify" filter under the Filters menu. But if you can ...
Print all image files with one command10/9/2007
  Q: I have edited about 100 images and want to take their print outs. Well, I cant find an option to ...
  A: I think you can create and record an "Action" to do what you want and then "play" the action on an ...
Layers9/27/2007
  Q: This is probably as basic as it gets Dan because all I want to do is open up 2 different photos, ...
  A: 1. [File]-[Open...] the image you are copying from. 2. Make your selection. 3. [Edit]-[Copy] 4. ...
ENLARGING AND PRINTING9/13/2007
  Q: I am working on a photo for my parents 60th Anniv of all the children / grandkids / and ...
  A: Wow that's going to be a big print. I would start with a new Photoshop document 16x20 at 200 dpi. ...
Spot coloring a Black and whit phote9/1/2007
  Q: I have a b/w photo of my son and I would like to makehis hat red but keep the rest of the photo b/w. ...
  A: The way I like to do this is ... 1. Make sure the image is RGB and not Greyscale. ...
How to convert rgb to cmyk?8/17/2007
  Q: I have Adobe Photoshop 2.0 and am trying to convert the rbg to cmyk to print from my direct to ...
  A: I have not used Photoshop 2.0 in over 10 years. It was released in 1992 and, lucky for you, it was ...
300 DPI in Photoshop 7.07/28/2007
  Q: First, exactly what is 300 DPI? And I have to make something in Photoshop 7.0 in 300 DPI, but have ...
  A: When you create a new document you need to set the "Resolution" to 300 "Pixes an inch". Many people ...
crop7/5/2007
  Q: I do not use photoshop much but I recently tried to crop an image. The problem I am having is I ...
  A: It sounds like you have inadvertently set your Crop Tool preferences to a fixed width and height. ...
Make small dimensioned, high res images6/26/2007
  Q: I'm struggling with some images at work and wonder if you could help. I have to put many photos of ...
  A: It sounds like you are doing it correctly, except that you probably need to change the "Mode" from ...
resolution, megapixel question6/12/2007
  Q: I have a 7 megapixel camera. After taking pictures and opened it in Photoshop, the pictures are in ...
  A: Resampling changes the image by either adding or subtracting pixels. So if you resize to 300 with ...
Problems determining hex value of colour6/8/2007
  Q: I've created a couple of tiles that incorporate a graduated colour that I can use to display as a ...
  A: I am not able to look at the link because here where I work they are blocking the site. But it is ...
Logo with transparent background help5/4/2007
  Q: I am a new user of Photoshop CS2 and don't yet know how to do much with it. I created a web logo ...
  A: You can also to do a "Save for Web" from Photoshop. To make the background transparent you will need ...
seperating and image from its background..4/9/2007
  Q: I wish to take an image away from its background. Its an image of a person, and I want to only ...
  A: There are only a few file types that support transparency. You can't save a JPEG with transparency, ...
deleting background3/29/2007
  Q: I work with pictures frequently. Currently i'm working on a project to where I need the backgrounds ...
  A: This is a complicated subject. I can only give you an overview of the different ways to handle this. ...
Photoshop Elements 22/18/2007
  Q: I have been using Elements 2 for converting PDD files to JPEG files using the batch method to ...
  A: I can't help you with your first question. Yes. You can use Photoshop to batch convert. First you ...
help2/8/2007
  Q: instead of the tutorial, how can I find this help I know it shoudl be there
  A: Photoshop has moved to a web based help system. All of the help files are located on the internet in ...
collage1/26/2007
  Q: I am interested in learning more about layers and making photo collages using sport pictures, ...
  A: Here is a pretty good tutorial on layers and layer masks. I would add to this tutorial that you can ...
coloring photos1/8/2007
  Q: I have a B&W photo and I want to color only parts of it (ex) eyes, lips, flower. Can you help me? ...
  A: My favorite way to do this is ... 1. From the menu change it to a color document from a black and ...
Photoshop Upgrade1/2/2007
  Q: I currently am using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.0 and Adobe Photoshop Album 2.0. We just got a ...
  A: I would recommend Photoshop CS2 (or soon to be released CS3)to anyone who is serious about image ...
Making Text Graphic w/ transparent background12/7/2006
  Q: I have Photoshop cs2 and 5.0. I need to make a white text graphic with a transparent background to ...
  A: The way to do this is to set your type then delete the background layer. Then do a [File]-[Save for ...
text tool12/4/2006
  Q: I have been trying to figure this out for 2 days. When I am about to type a Sentence. I click on ...
  A: Greg, I'm sorry, I can't reproduce this problem with Photoshop CS. Maybe your text color is the ...
turning a jpg into a background12/4/2006
  Q: Dan, not sure what you are referring to. I use that area a lot to correct color, etc. on my photos. ...
  A: Use Levels and move the bottom slider "Output Levels" if you move the black handle to the right your ...
Does all cropping in Photoshop have to be done in squares?11/10/2006
  Q: I'm trying to crop a wreath out of picture. Is there a way I can create my own cropping area that ...
  A: The short answer is no. All images on a computer are rectangular. You will have to "erase" or ...
batch canvas expanding in photoshop11/3/2006
  Q: I have a number of images that I'd like to add a six pixel black border around. I would like to ...
  A: I must admit I didn't know this until I tried to answer this question. You learn something every ...
Collages....yikes!10/14/2006
  Q: I recently started a job that requires me to know how to make collages with feathered, cropped ...
  A: Here is a real nice way to do the feathered edges. Make sure you have each image on a layer. Also ...
line weight in photoshop CS10/13/2006
  Q: Dan: If you are using the pen tool to draw a line on a photo, how do you change the line weight? I ...
  A: The Pen tool is not a drawing tool. It creates paths. If you choose the path in the "Paths" palette ...
collage10/1/2006
  Q: . but i dont think i explain myself very clear... what i want to do is a picture of a face or an ...
  A: To do this in Photoshop you would need to look at all of the pictures and assign a lightness/color ...
shape9/13/2006
  Q: Working with CS 2 on a Mac G5 When I was trying to make a personal copyright sign, I have throw ...
  A: If you are on a Windows PC you can hold down the "Alt" key and type 0169 on the grey number pad on ...
toching up9/11/2006
  Q: I usually do touch up with the clone stamp tool, but Photoshop keeps adding more touch-up tools. ...
  A: I suggest you only use the healing brush for a while and you will see when it doesn't work, then you ...
How Do I?9/9/2006
  Q: How do i take a picture, make it black and white and add color to one image?
  A: There are many ways to do this in Photoshop, my favorite way to do this is ... 1. Creat a new layer ...
Silhouetting out dirty white background seamless9/8/2006
  Q: I read your response to Alex's question -see here Hi Alex, There are two ways professionals handle ...
  A: Making a real good silhouette is usually very labor intensive, and depends on a lot of factors such ...
clearer pictures7/17/2006
  Q: i tried making a really small picture bigger and now its blurry. how do i make it clearer without ...
  A: You can not increase the size of a picture without making it appear blurry. Think about it this ...
fonts7/13/2006
  Q: i feel like a novice asking this question even though i have been using photoshop 7 for over 5 years ...
  A: Fonts are handled by the Opperating System. Different OS's work different ways. Mac Classic, OSX, ...
file resizing7/10/2006
  Q: I was hoping you could help me with a question. in PS 7 I started out with a 90.5 by 90 inch ...
  A: It is because of the order in which you entered the info in the resize dialog. If you turn off ...
Photoshop CS2- How to make the whole picture black and white, but leave something in color6/29/2006
  Q: I love Photoshop and I just recently purchased CS2 and I love it, but I'm still learning. What I'm ...
  A: Here's what I would do. 1. Copy your picture onto a new layer. Do this by dragging the background ...
Text tool6/28/2006
  Q: I have just upgraded to PS CS [aka 8] so I don't know if this problem is related to the new upgrade ...
  A: If you have a program called Spyware Doctor running in the background this will cause a problem like ...
Replace color6/20/2006
  Q: I'm using Photoshop 6.0. I want to replace a color (e.g. RGB 10 80 200) by another color I know the ...
  A: I tried to do it the way you explaned and I also could not make it work. First thing I would do is ...
Problem with Drag and Drop in Photoshop6/20/2006
  Q: I have an equally frustrating problem with drag and drop in Photoshop 7.0. I can't drag and drop an ...
  A: One of your images is in a color space that is not compatable with the other image. Probably one or ...
changing foreground/background color6/7/2006
  Q: For some reason I am having problems changing my background/foreground colors. i.e.-I click on the ...
  A: It's one of three things... 1) Your document is Greyscale. You need to change to a color space that ...
healing brush problems6/1/2006
  Q: Every time I try to use the healing brush It appers on the image as if I were using the clone tool. ...
  A: The Healing Brush works exactly like the Clone tool. The only difference is it adjusts the color and ...
photoshop5/29/2006
  Q: Every time i try to cut, add an anchor point (or Just about anything!) i keep getting an error ...
  A: The layer you are on when you try to select does not have anything on it that is more than 50% ...
Cropping Photoshop CS25/26/2006
  Q: I am trying to crop a photo and when I crop the part of the photo I get the crop outline but in ...
  A: At the top of the Photoshop screen are the tool options. You should see some boxes where you can ...
Image size for printing5/23/2006
  Q: I am creating a poster which will be placed on a board of 30 inches (width) X 20 inches (height). ...
  A: A poster of that size is not meant to be viewed at the same distance as a printed page or magazine ...
Create picture edges in Adobe Photoshop??5/23/2006
  Q: I would like to create a picture similar to the one at the Southwest.com website ...
  A: 1. Make a new Photoshop document with the background color you want. 2. Drag your picture on to the ...
Resize pics5/19/2006
  Q: I have 200 pics that i need to resize to a lower resolution (from 400dpi to 150dpi). Is there a ...
  A: Here's what you do. 1. Put all of the images in one folder. This will be your source folder. 2. In ...
color correcting in jpeg format5/17/2006
  Q: I'm using CS2. Is there a way to color correct multiple images taken in the same lighting situation ...
  A: You could record an action and then run it through "automate". Here's how... 1. Open one of your ...
eraser tool5/11/2006
  Q: I have photoshop 7.0 When I erase something the eraser covers an area just say 1/8 of an inch. When ...
  A: The size of the brush is relative to your zoom percentage. It is always the same pixel dimentions. ...
Multiple Images5/9/2006
  Q: I have been looking all day for this answer. Okay I have Photoshop CS2 on windows. I want to open ...
  A: This is very easy to do when you know how. Follow these steps... 1. Open one of the images from the ...
Rendering intents5/8/2006
  Q: I have to comment that the "expert" I first posted this question to says in her profile that she ...
  A: All of the experts have lives and we are doing this free for people who need help such as yourself. ...
need help and guidance5/2/2006
  Q: I am a web designer, coder, programmer. I have recently shyed away from my career to study php, ...
  A: I am a suckfest at PHP. I think you should partner up with a web designer, like me. Sorry, I already ...
photoshop stroke4/15/2006
  Q: Dan, I have photoshop cs 8, iMac 450, OS 10.3.9 I don't use photoshop that much so this is a very ...
  A: Although Photoshop has some vector drawing tools and can creat shapes paths and fills, it is not a ...
Photo's for Web4/14/2006
  Q: I hope this question isn't considered beginner... Anyway, I am just starting in web design and I am ...
  A: TIFF is not supprted on the web. I suggest that you continue to scan your pictures and save the ...
photoshop fonts4/6/2006
  Q: A graphic designer gave me some jpg files, which I assume he created in Photoshop. Some of the text ...
  A: If it is indeed Arial you can turn off Antialiasing. You can find antialiasing settings on the ...
Adobe Photoshop3/22/2006
  Q: I am getting ready to embark on digital scrapbooking and want to know which would be the best ...
  A: If this project is going to have a web component I would recomend that you get Photoshop 5.5 or ...
pixel color filtering3/10/2006
  Q: here is theI use photoshop cs2 and i made this pixelized picture of the head of a woman.The size is ...
  A: Use the Magic Wand tool. But first lets set it up... Select the Eyedropper tool and set the Sample ...
cloning around2/22/2006
  Q: It was of great help. My question today regards the clone tool in Photoshop 6.The clone icon ...
  A: I'm not sure what is wrong here. But, the clone tool has options that can be set to "Alligned" ...
Fake or not?2/20/2006
  Q: Can you tell me, is this picture FAKE or not? If is it fake...can you tell me why? ...
  A: I cannot say whether it's been Photoshoped or not. The "halo" effect that is being pointed to in the ...
I've been working with only...2/15/2006
  Q: I've been working with only CMYK files for offset printing . I recently bought a digital camera ...
  A: I have not experienced any problem with Photoshop's RGB to CMYK conversion. RGB has a wider gammut ...
chalk board effect1/2/2006
  Q: I'm running Photshop CS on a Mac. I had two questions. ONE--I want to create a blackboard effect ...
  A: I tried to do exactly what you are trying to do for a background for a website. I could not figure ...
command to entire file12/19/2005
  Q: What is the path to give a command to an entire file of 200 images? Want to rotate canvas and blur. ...
  A: I don't know what MS Office has to do with any of this, but here is how you do it in Photoshop... ...
Flood Fill11/11/2005
  Q: I have just started to learn how to use photoshop to CG my artwork but i cant find the flood fill ...
  A: It actually is in the tool bar, but it is not on top. Some tools have "flyouts" you can tell by a ...
Adobe Photoshop 6.0 Selected Fill11/10/2005
  Q: I am having trouble filling (with a cross hatch pattern)an area on a concept site plan map. I want ...
  A: I don't understand the question. But I think you need to make a selection before you fill. Use the ...
Making TIFF format files11/3/2005
  Q: I have 2 digital photos (Photo A.jpeg and Photo B.jpeg), can I combine these 2 photos into one file ...
  A: Peter, I have never heard of a TIFF file containing two pages or two images. Even if it did how ...
Adjustment layers.10/26/2005
  Q: I've used adjustments layers to get my photo just right. Now, I want to add a nifty background by ...
  A: If you hold down the Alt key and click on the dividing line in the Layers Palette between the ...
Lossy Compression????10/22/2005
  Q: I know that when I save a Jpeg picture over and over it looses information, detail in the pic. Just ...
  A: I have never used winrar and I am not sure if winrar is able to compress TIFF images at all. If it ...
photoshop9/26/2005
  Q: I have a scanned photograph of a child in jpg format. Behind this photograph a man is standing. I ...
  A: All depends on the photograph, but here are some tips. Use the "Clone Stamp" tool and set the ...
Hi Dan I'm using Photoshop...9/22/2005
  Q: I'm using Photoshop 7 and finding colours are difficult. For me, what seems to happen with ...
  A: Matching colors is not that hard but you can't rely on what you see on the screen. You have got to ...
Photoshop 7.0 jpg problem9/21/2005
  Q: I am using a Mac on OS 9--Photoshop 7.0--working in a small print shop. We have experienced a ...
  A: I can't replicate the problem. I use the same programs. One thing that may be happening is that the ...
Creating an original EPS file?9/7/2005
  Q: USING: Photoshop CS ver 8.0 Dear Dan, I am trying to create a new original EPS file from two ...
  A: I have bad news for you. Photoshop is NOT a "vector" art editing program. It is a "rastor" art ...
Photoshop text colors9/3/2005
  Q: I would like to know how to select "gold" as a color for text. I would like to set something up that ...
  A: You can select and change the color for text in the Text Pallette or in the Text Properties at the ...
What exactly does spot color...8/9/2005
  Q: What exactly does spot color do?" and why do people use it? Thank you
  A: In order to explain what a spot color is and what it's used for I must first explain CMYK and RGB ...
multiple images8/4/2005
  Q: I contacted you previously and find that I cannot really follow thru with your answer. I would ...
  A: Answer 1: 1. Open both images. 2. In image A (the image that will be on the top layer) go to the ...
Locked Layers8/1/2005
  Q: Someone sent me a photo with a text layer. I want to delete the text layer but the program won't ...
  A: If "the program" you are referring to is Photoshop and the image indeed has layers you can do this ...
merging images8/1/2005
  Q: Suppose that I have two images, image A and Image B. I would like to merge them so that at the page ...
  A: You will be working in the "Layers" palette so make sure you can see it. If you can't, go to ...
Fading Text7/24/2005
  Q: How can I use the Fade Gradient tool on text? I am trying to make text fade from top to bottom ...
  A: The best way to do this is in the Layers pallet, make sure you are on the layer where the text is ...
Softening the a person's aging appearance7/20/2005
  Q: I have been attempting to soften my wifes signs of aging in her portraits. I can remove the deep ...
  A: The first thing is your using the wrong tool. Use the "Healing Brush" tool instead of the Clone ...
photoshop CS photo retouching7/3/2005
  Q: I just started using photoshop CS and I'm trying to merge the foreground of one photo (an image of a ...
  A: Some photos are easier to isolate objects than others. Making a clean selection can take minutes or ...
Oil paintings6/13/2005
  Q: Oil paintings develop a network of fine cracks that are clearly visible in poster reproductions of ...
  A: Try this ... Use [Filter]-[Noise]-[Median] put it just enough to hide the cracks. Then goto ...
Color of the images?6/11/2005
  Q: Can you help me please. I have just started to work on pictures with adobe photoshop. I used to use ...
  A: I can only help you with color corecting images in Photoshop. Not with the settings and color of the ...
colour seperation.5/12/2005
  Q: I use photoshop 5.5. I need to scan in a printed fabric, accurately reduce the design into flat ...
  A: Try bluring the image with Gausian Blur to get rid of the texture then using ...
cutting a background5/5/2005
  Q: I work for a small online retailer selling clothing. One of our problems when taking pictures of ...
  A: There are two ways professionals handle silhouettes. 1. Using the "Pen" tool draw a path around the ...
cropping3/24/2005
  Q: I just started photography for weddings. Not for pay but for enjoyment and to give a gift that will ...
  A: I'm not sure what the problem is. Cropping is fairly straight forward, you will get the part that is ...
Animating GIF files.3/1/2005
  Q: I'm trying to make an animated buddy icon for AIM with my company's logo, but I can't figure out how ...
  A: You will need to first change the image mode of the GIF files to RGB -- [Image-[Mode]-[RGB]. Open ...
saving as a Tiff2/21/2005
  Q: i have been having problem with my photoshop when i want to save a photo as a tiff, i could be ...
  A: There is probably something in the file that is not supported by the TIFF format -- layers, ...
Importing Fonts into Photoshop2/20/2005
  Q: How do I import a font that I downloaded from the internet, into photoshop, so I can use that font ...
  A: RYan, Photoshop uses the font that are installed in your system. Depending on what operating system ...
backgroud removal2/11/2005
  Q: On my website www.flandersfietsen.be you'll see a lot of pictures of bicycles. No background was ...
  A: The best way is to create a path with the "Pen" tool and then make a selection from the path. The ...
trying to make a collage of pictures1/29/2005
  Q: i am really new to photoshop, teaching myself,i have version 5.5 i have a lot of digital photos & ...
  A: When resizing images through the [Image]-[Image Resize...] You need to pay attention to the ...
when i shoot with my camera i get this1/27/2005
  Q: when i shoot with my camera i get this an image: 3264 x 2176 at 72 dpi or 45.33 x 30.22 inches ...
  A: The actual pixels will only go to 10.88" X 7.25" at 300 DPI. Anything larger than that will not be ...
how do I do this1/12/2005
  Q: I have Photoshop 7 and would like to take a photo and make it so it has something like 20 or 25% ...
  A: The way I like to do this is ... 1. Create a new layer. 2. Fill the layer with white (or whatever ...
radial gradiant1/5/2005
  Q: I'm betting (hoping) this is gonna be easy. I'm trying to figure out how to make a 'radial gradiant' ...
  A: In Photoshop CS or versions 6 or 7 the "Gradient" tool is combined on the tool bar with the "Paint ...
removing background12/23/2004
  Q: Happy Holidays! I have a question for you. I have a graphic (of a globe w/ flags sticking out of ...
  A: I looked at the image and here is how I would do this. 1. Duplicate the image [Image]-[Duplicate] ...
how to convert the Black and white photo to colour12/21/2004
  Q: i m using photoshop 6, is there any facility to convert the black & white photo to colour, if yes ...
  A: The way I do this is first make sure the color mode is RGB and not Greyscale. [Image]-[Mode]-[RGB] ...
Replace colour (photoshop v6)12/17/2004
  Q: I saw an article maybe a year ago in a photo magazine, in which it reviewed some photoshop plug-in ...
  A: Not sure about a 3rd party plugin, but there is a standard Photoshop filter that can achieve good ...
White area around selection12/8/2004
  Q: When I use the magnetic or polygonal lasso tool around an object and then save it as a .gif (I'm ...
  A: You need to make a new layer fron the selection ... CTRL+J or [Layer]-[New]-[Layer via Copy]. Then ...
Duotones12/7/2004
  Q: I just tried working on a duotone Yesterday for the first time. Hmmm - things to learn. My ...
  A: You need to save the file as an EPS, file. If the printer has a problem with the file suggest that ...
invalid JPEG marker type error11/18/2004
  Q: FileI have a customer trying to give me a file to print. The customer designed a brochure in "Print ...
  A: I did a little research on the net, I could not find much info on this Print Artist. It was ...
Color B&W photos11/17/2004
  Q: How can I add color to a greyscale old family photo in Photoshop 7? Thank you.
  A: What I like to do is create a layer and set the layer blending options to "Color" or "Hue" (see ...
Digital Photography in Photoshop11/10/2004
  Q: QuickI have a customer that has photographs that were taken with a digital camera. Most pictures ...
  A: You might try using [Image]-[Adjust]-[Highlight/Shadow Adjustment...] to decease the intensity of ...
Liquify Preview never loads image10/31/2004
  Q: I have Adobe Photoshop 2.0. When I go to Filters>Distort>Liquify it goes to the new screen to make ...
  A: I didn't think that the Liquify filter worked with 2.0. The only thing I can think of is to look ...
Photoshop 710/29/2004
  Q: only bits of what I've selected go over though and there are chunks missing so I'm obviously not ...
  A: There are many ways to make selections in Photoshop. Each way will work better for different types ...
Color Correcting in Photoshop10/12/2004
  Q: The company that I work for is in the process of getting a digital proofer and I am going to have to ...
  A: There are soooooo many ways to use Photoshop for color correction, hundreds, I'm sure. There are ...
Adobe Photoshop duotone into InDesign10/7/2004
  Q: I'm making a brochure in InDesign with two spot colors but it has a link to a duotone Photoshop ...
  A: 1. You can create the color in Photoshop in the Duotone dialog, just click "Picker" put in the color ...
Photoshop Print Package9/30/2004
  Q: There isn't an option to print two 4" x 6" prints on one sheet. Is there a workaround to accomplish ...
  A: This is what I like about being an expert on AllExperts.com, I am constantly chalenged to find ...
Banding in images9/27/2004
  Q: Is there any way to avoid or to correct banding in images from a digital camera or photoshop images ...
  A: The only way I know of to get rid of banding is to add noise. But you can make this work only in ...
ad to print in black plus one color8/31/2004
  Q: 1. Will the following print in a magazine as a black plus one color ad? 2. Change mode from ...
  A: The best way to see if it will print as two colors is to look at the channels. If you have image ...
photoshop8/31/2004
  Q: I have been having a problem sending photos to guys on aol, so one time I selected another way to ...
  A: I will need more information. 1. What is the new "way" you are saving the scan? 2. What kind of ...
aligning objects8/26/2004
  Q: Dan: iMac 450, OS9.2.1, photoshop 7 I'm back for more advice on photoshop because I seldom use it. ...
  A: I don't think you can. Just get it close then use the arrow keys to nudge it into place. My ...
Hey Dan, I shot some...8/25/2004
  Q: Hey Dan, I shot some pics indoors under incandescent lights. I have the brownish tint to them. ...
  A: There are several easy ways to fix this. They all don't work all the time on every image, so try ...
batch editing photos8/13/2004
  Q: Can you tell me if there is a way to batch edit photos in Photoshop? I have 200 photos in jpeg ...
  A: Yes there is. Make sure you have the "Actions" palette open. Open one image, the click the ...
four color photo to one color8/8/2004
  Q: I wish to know how to begin with a 4 color photograph, change it to one color, use it as a ...
  A: H., Your monotone will work as a background for black type if you use a page layout program such as ...
saving files7/28/2004
  Q: I am running mac os 10.3 and trying to save photoshop(v7.0) files for windows. Is there any way or ...
  A: Photoshop will open files saved from any OS, Mac or PC. You don't need to do anything special. If ...
Photoshop7/27/2004
  Q: I need to save a scanned in color logo w/text with a Transparent background. Photoshop 6.0. I can ...
  A: TIFF and JPG do not support transparency or alpha channels. One way to do this is to use the "Pen" ...
Image File Formats7/26/2004
  Q: I'm Fatemeh, M.A. in medical library and informmation science and living in Iran. I'm working on ...
  A: I could not open the link for some reason. I am guessing that they are referring to the size of ...
Photoshop 6 (quick masking)7/8/2004
  Q: I would appreciate your help on a quick overview of how to use a mask as a seperate layer on a photo ...
  A: There is a "Layer Mask" available through the Layers palette. It adds a mask to a layer. Look at the ...
photoshop CS web gallery6/30/2004
  Q: I can not find where they moved the ability to create web galleries, I thought it should be under ...
  A: It sounds like you don't have the "Action" file because it's not showing up under File-Automate. You ...
spot color - pantone6/30/2004
  Q: Photoshop CS: How do I make a black and white picture into one pantone spot color? I will be ...
  A: I assume you are talking about "Line Art" like a drawing and not a B&W photo. Here is my patented ...
Creation of a background6/24/2004
  Q: Your time is precious, and I hope that my question won't be ambiguous, but as straightforward as ...
  A: I hope you are using layers. You will need to have the button on one layer (not the bottom or ...
colouring a line drawing6/17/2004
  Q: I wonder if you could help. Is it possible to use photoshop it colour in a line drawing? Its a jpg ...
  A: This is eeeeeeazzzy! Make a new layer on top of the drawing then set the layer blending atributes ...
Blending Photos6/15/2004
  Q: I was wondering how I'd go about blending photographs. I have a few jpegs that I need to create a ...
  A: Alejandra, Make a new document in Photoshop. Then open an image and drag it onto the new doc. Then ...
clipping6/3/2004
  Q: I have been using photoshop now for 5 years, I am very good at doing most things however I was asked ...
  A: Maybe it's not too late to become a Clipping Path expert overnight! If you never used Adobe ...
Photo retouching5/26/2004
  Q: OK, I have a color (RGB) tif photo of a guy in a herringbone suit. Resolution is at 300 pixels per ...
  A: This is what's known as a "moire" pattern (pronounced moray). It is caused by two repeating ...
pixels5/19/2004
  Q: FirstWhen I select an area on my picture I would like to know exactly what the dimensions of my ...
  A: I keep my "Info" palette open and visible you can find it under the "Window" menu. Once this is open ...
file size vs. quality5/18/2004
  Q: I have been using Adobe Photoshop to prepare my 640 x 430 jpg images for my website. 1. I am ...
  A: If you have version Photoshop 5.5 or newer there is a "Save for Web" under the "File" menu. In there ...
sharpening5/14/2004
  Q: I would like to know how to use Photoshop to charpen (detail) images. When I go to <filter> -> ...
  A: Try using "Unsharp Mask" this gives you much more control over the sharpening proccess. I would ...
percentage of colour4/18/2004
  Q: Is there a way to get exact information about the percentage of space one of the base-colours of an ...
  A: Sorry Harold, I don't think there is a way to get this info. You can set the maximum ink density ...
Borders for digital pictures4/16/2004
  Q: I have been taking digital pictures of my daughters softball team. Now I would like to make a Frame ...
  A: Tony, If all of you photos are exacly the same size you can record your actions through the Actions ...
picture color4/11/2004
  Q: I had my film digitized at Ritz Camera and I had them make saturated colors. Initially I thought I ...
  A: You may be able to use [Image]-[Adjust]-[Hue/Saturation...] then dial down the saturation. If they ...
Bolder Outline4/7/2004
  Q: How do you make the outline of a scanned one dimensional pencil drawing thicker. I will use the ...
  A: There are several ways to do this... One way is to "Gausian blur" the drawing and then use "Levels" ...
Transparency in Photo shop 6.04/5/2004
  Q: I created a vignette from a photo I have. I want to put this photo on a card made with PrintMaster. ...
  A: Gif89a is for the web. It supports transparency but still needs to be told what the color of the ...
Hello, Is it possible to...3/24/2004
  Q: Is it possible to imbed a font into Photoshop and if so how? Regards Robert Dewell
  A: Robert, Yes and no. When you type into Photoshop then send the layered document to someone who ...
color separations3/22/2004
  Q: I have created a design to be screen printed on t-shirts and need to know how to do spot color ...
  A: You will need to create "New Spot Channels" through the "Channels" palette (its the little button ...
jpg file3/15/2004
  Q: I have two Photoshop-associated questions. 1) I know that when you compress a jpg file and then ...
  A: DON'T work on JPGs!!!!!! Yes, everytime you open a JPG it uncompresses it, then if you save it ...
scanning3/5/2004
  Q: What is the best way of getting rid of dust when scanning with Photoshop: 1) how to prevent dust ...
  A: The best to keep dust out of your scanner is to maintain a cleanroom envronment with an air-lock ...
adding boarders & dropshadows to photographs3/3/2004
  Q: How would you put a boarder around a photograph and then add a drop shadow to that boarder? A simple ...
  A: I would use layers and layer effects. After you make your selection do a [Layer]-[New]-[Layer Via ...
Achieving Vivid Color with CMYK2/24/2004
  Q: I'm another expert here at allexperts.com(Illustrator) and I've got a question about color balancing ...
  A: The link you gave me did not work. The color you're looking for is out of gammut for CMYK. Using a ...
removing background2/20/2004
  Q: 1)photoshop 7 2)scanned a line drawing or text for use in a Photoshop collage 3)not doing what ...
  A: Kathy, The easiest way is to drag the lineart into the image and set the layer options to "Darken" ...
How to Delete Background After Retouch2/13/2004
  Q: I've lassoed and deleted what I don't want on my pics, feathered and so forth; but when I place them ...
  A: There are only two formats compatible with the web that support transparency, GIF and PNG. The best ...
Photoshop: problems with psd to jpg color conversion2/8/2004
  Q: If you can help me with a Photoshop 7 web conversion color/resolution problem: 1) I am trying to ...
  A: I'm not sure why you are getting these muddy results from save for web. I usually get very close to ...

All Questions in This Category

Adobe Photoshop

Dan Loffler

Top Expert on this page