Adoption Issues/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Adoption Travel1/8/2017Peter C. Winkler, CSW
  Q: I am a single adoptive mother with a 4-year-old daughter (whom I adopted from Bulgaria two years ...
  A: Since there is no law or technical reason why your daughter can't travel with you to adopt a ...
International Adoption and School11/3/2016Adoption STAR
  Q: My husband and I are in the process of adopting a 15-year-old girl from South Africa. She is very ...
  A: Maria, Thank you for your question. First and most importantly, congratulations on the adoption of ...
International Adoption Travel11/3/2016Adoption STAR
  Q: In January, my family is bringing home two children (ages 9 and 11) from Ethiopia. We were wondering ...
  A: Roxanne, Thank you for your question. First, congratulations on the upcoming adoption! Very ...
Sibling Search10/2/2016Alice Allen, Rev (ULC)
  Q: My father in law recently obtained a copy of his original birth certificate. With that info we were ...
  A: The search for siblings may prove difficult without identifying information. Much will depend on ...
How old do three girls have to be in order to understand that they9/27/2016Chandricka R. Mose, LCSW-C, LICSW, ACSW
  Q: How old do three girls have to be in order to understand that they have the same biological father ...
  A: This is not difficult for them to understand at all. If they are raised as sisters under the same ...
Why would a 12 year old like it when adult men were to9/26/2016Chandricka R. Mose, LCSW-C, LICSW, ACSW
  Q: Why would a 12 year old like it when adult men were to legally adopt her and tries very hard to be a ...
  A: Unfortunately, without knowing the child or the circumstances of the situation, I can not ...
How would a child feel toward her mother?9/26/2016Adoption STAR
  A: We are unclear exactly what you are asking, but will do our best to reply to your questions. If a ...
  Q: How would a child feel toward her mother? Her mother tells her that because she does not want to ...
  A: We can not predict how a child might feel or react if a mother chooses not to reveal information ...
Adoption Research9/6/2016Adoption STAR
  Q: I am doing research for a book (i'm sure you hear that all the time - i'm sorry to be another.) I ...
  A: I do not work in Indiana, so am not familiar with the laws in that state regarding sealed adoption ...
International Adoption8/30/2016Peter C. Winkler, CSW
  Q: My husband and I are in the process of adopting a sibling group of three from Ethiopia (5- and ...
  A: It is difficult to answer some of your questions, because I have only the limited information that ...
Adopting out of birth order7/16/2016Adoption STAR
  Q: My husband and I are in the process of an Ethiopian adoption. We have recently received a referral ...
  A: Maria, Congratulations on the adoption of a sibling group. It is very exciting. You do have a big ...
Birth Mother Wants Updated Obituary4/23/2016Alice Allen, Rev (ULC)
  Q: MY sister has come to me with an idea that I think is really bad and I would like an outside ...
  A: JoAnne, in my opinion, it is likely that the "birth" father's recent passing has triggered your ...
Post-Adoption: Family Reconciliation 4/16/2016Alice Allen, Rev (ULC)
  Q: My sons biological dad disappeared from our lives when my son was 1 due to an addiction he couldn't ...
  A: Misty, trust your instincts. It is the best approach. Clearly, your son has a right to know his ...
Future husband wishes to adopt wife's child4/11/2016Adoption STAR
  Q: Question for my best friend. She has a 7 year old daughter. The biological father was never listed ...
  A: Your friend's future husband will need to legally adopt the child in order to be considered the ...
adopting my step-daugther3/10/2016Adoption STAR
  Q: This is similar to the question asked on: Expert: Adoption STAR - 6/2/2013. I got married and my ...
  A: We recommend contacting an attorney who specializes in family law or adoption. Many frequently ...
adopting my step-daugther3/10/2016Peter C. Winkler, CSW
  Q: Mr. Winkler, thank you for reading this email. I got married and my wife had a three years old girl ...
  A: Adoption laws vary from state to state, but most states have laws that are similar to one another. ...
Fostering & Therapy7/28/2015Chandricka R. Mose, LCSW-C, LICSW, ACSW
  Q: My husband and I are considering becoming foster parents. We attended an orientation meeting and ...
  A: To my knowledge, the questions are pretty general and should not jeopardize your confidentiality. ...
Cost of adopting a child in 1981-82.6/5/2015Peter C. Winkler, CSW
  Q: Winkler, I was wondering if you could tell me what it would have cost to adopt a child back in ...
  A: There are not supposed to be any charges for placing a child for adoption. For example a ...
Searching for my birth mother2/26/2015Alice Allen, Rev (ULC)
  Q: I only know my date of birth and the hospital I was born at.How do I find out anything about her? I ...
  A: Roxann, identifying birth family members may be as simple as requesting your records. Even if the ...
Adopt-a-Friend1/21/2015Peter C. Winkler, CSW
  Q: My 16 year old friend was just separated from her mother and step-father by the court and placed in ...
  A: It would be extremely difficult to adopt her and the legal costs would be high. The first step ...
adoption reunion impact on partner of birth mother10/31/2014Alice Allen, Rev (ULC)
  Q: My partner and I have been together 30 years. When I met her (1984),she told me that she had given ...
  A: Heather, family members and loved ones are unsung super heroes in the adoption reunion adventure ...
My daughter wants to foster her sisters 2 daughters10/20/2014Rachel
  Q: My daughter whos having problems taking care of her too children, would like her sister and partner ...
  A: Yes they would get support to look after them. Her sister and partner would need to register as ...
biological father disclosure7/18/2014Alice Allen, Rev (ULC)
  Q: I have a pretty strange situation and I would appreciate your advice. I have been married 10 years, ...
  A: Mary, you already know that healthy relationships require honesty. Certainly, your daughter deserves ...
Adoption Question7/11/2014Adoption STAR
  Q: We adopted our son from China in 2004 and the adoption was finalized in China. He came home with a ...
  A: Theresa, If In 2004 you received a SS Card then we would assume you filed the application for it as ...
Unknown Birth Parent5/5/2014Adoption STAR
  Q: Can you find my birth parent even I have no information about either of them? And I mean I know ...
  A: Margaret, Sometimes when we think we have no information, we need to process what information do you ...
Did Mount Zion Hospital in San Francisco have a maternity ward in 1988?5/4/2014Alice Allen, Rev (ULC)
  Q: In 1996 and again last year I went there and asked around. Many people said that the maternity ward ...
  A: John, congratulations on your decision to search. You are clearly dedicated to finding your answers ...
Adopting my disabled niece4/24/2014Peter C. Winkler, CSW
  Q: My name is Sara. I live in PA. I took in my disabled niece from social services in August 2013. In ...
  A: When it comes to adoption subsidy, every state has different rules, etc. You should speak with ...
why did no one adopt me?3/16/2014Peter C. Winkler, CSW
  Q: I wanted to know why no one adopted me? when i was little my mother became so ill she couldn't care ...
  A: It is very difficult to give you an accurate answer to your question regarding not being adopted. ...
Not sure if you can help1/3/2014Peter C. Winkler, CSW
  Q: First I'm in Canada but couldn't find an expert from Canada so it might be different here. But ...
  A: As far as I know, there isn't much you can do to prevent this individual from becoming a foster or ...
Mexican adoption11/20/2013Adoption STAR
  Q: On a mission trip to Mexico my husband and I met two boys 13 and 14 years old, orphans living at a ...
  A: Dianne, Thank you for your question. Our advice is to speak to an attorney who is skilled in ...
fighting to get my children and baby back8/30/2013Chandricka R. Mose, LCSW-C, LICSW, ACSW
  Q: 2 years ago I was told to sign a section 20 or I wont see my kids again. my children were taken from ...
  A: Although you've shared some details of your situation, I'm afraid that I don't feel that I have ...
international adoption8/23/2013Peter C. Winkler, CSW
  Q: can a 42 year old christian US citizen who is a divorcee having two sons aged 18 plus and a daughter ...
  A: Although I have worked on international adoptions over the last 15 years, I have never dealt with ...
Parents and their Kids' Sexuality7/15/2013Chandricka R. Mose, LCSW-C, LICSW, ACSW
  Q: Good day. I'm sure this is a common concern among parents that you encounter but still I have to ...
  A: I must first apologize for the delayed response. The answer to this for me has always been ...
Need help asap!!7/9/2013Peter C. Winkler, CSW
  Q: My sisters friend has an appointment for an abortion next week. I want another child but my last two ...
  A: Each state has their own adoption laws and if you decide to go ahead with adopting this child. Your ...
Taking care of daughter/neice I put up for adoption7/9/2013Peter C. Winkler, CSW
  Q: I am in a big dilemma with my family. Fifteen years ago when I was 20 I gave birth to a little girl. ...
  A: You obviously have come a long way and you should be proud of your accomplishments. Yet, at the ...
Adopting my brother from out of state6/14/2013Adoption STAR
  Q: I would like to know what the easiest and cheapest way to adopt my 5 year old brother from out of ...
  A: Nahvonna, Thank you for your question. In NYS adoptive parent applicants must be at least 18 years ...
ADOPTION6/2/2013Adoption STAR
  Q: 11 years ago my wife had a child with another man. Both of us have raised this child together. That ...
  A: The process should not be too difficult. I advise contacting a family law attorney in your ...
ADOPTION6/2/2013Peter C. Winkler, CSW
  Q: My wife had a child with another man 11 years ago. Both of us have raised this child together. That ...
  A: In most states he situation you describe would still require that you will have to adopt this child ...
Custody of children5/15/2013Rachel
  Q: I'm currently caring for my two nieces who are both under 5 yrs. their mother (my sister) has agreed ...
  A: You can apply for Special Guardianship, which would give you legal parental responsibility for your ...
adoption3/18/2013Peter C. Winkler, CSW
  Q: i had a child in 2009, the birth father name is on the birth records (not by choice) he left a day ...
  A: The question you asked is best answered by an attorney who does adoption work in your state. Each ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next       All

Adoption Issues

Peter C. Winkler, CSW

Top Expert on this page