You are here:

Adoption Issues/How to contact biological family, 1989 Florida?


Hello, I am a 23 year old male adopted in Florida in 1989. Apparently at the tine I was adopted the state allowed my biological parents to hide all contact information etc. Is there any way now that i am 23 I can request this information? Or how should I go about re-uniting with my siblings/parents?

Thank you

Hello Ragnar,

The first step would be to go to the county where you were adopted and request your records.  It may require you to request it through the court system or vital records for your original birth certificate.  If this doesn't help, there are many websites and groups that may be helpful.  Unfortunately, I am not privy to the specifics of programs in Florida, but on the other hand, your biological parents could be anywhere by now.  Know that it could be a long frustrating process, but I pray it is worth it for you in the end.  

All the best,
Chandricka Mose  

Adoption Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Chandricka R. Mose, LCSW-C, LICSW, ACSW


EXTENSIVE!! I can answer questions about issues pertaining to foster care, treatment foster care, foster care to adopt matters, kinship care, reunification and homestudy concerns and process.


I have 20 years of experience ih this arena. I have worked in preventing youth from entering care and provided case management to youth and families in care. I have conducted and supervised training for foster and adoptive parents in both the presercive and inservice phases. I have conducted and supervised parenting skills training for parents seeking to regain custody of their children. I also held positions as program supervisor and director of foster care services. I am an advocate for youth, professionals and parents that find theselves involved in the foster care and/or adoption process. I have also experienced foster care and adoption personally as I grew up with a mom who provided foster care services and have two adopted siblings.

I am on the Advisory Committee of Kayla's Village. This is an advocacy and training organization for youth, professionals and parents involved with the child welfare system.

I have not been published, but serve as the social work expert at the Kayla's Village ask the expert free on-line service. I have also presented at a national conference on foster care and adoption issues.

I have a Bachelor of Social Work from Howard University and a Master of Science in Social Work from Columbia University. I am clinically licensed in both Maryland and Washington, DC.

Awards and Honors
I was once honored as Employee of the Year.

©2017 All rights reserved.