Adoption Issues/adoption


i had a child in 2009, the birth father name is on the birth records (not by choice) he left a day after and hasnt even did anything for her, in 2010 i got with a guy who has been in my daugthers life and who is raising her as his, i gotton a letter from my ex signing over his rights to her. i and my boyfriend was wondering since the dad turned over his rights if he could legaly adopt her whithout us being married?          thanks for your time

Hi Brandy-
The question you asked is best answered by an attorney who does adoption work in your state.  Each state has their own adoption laws and regulations and one state may allow your paramour to adopt your daughter and another might not.  You should be aware that every court will require that a report be prepared for the judge that focuses on your boyfriend's background and character (called an adoption home study)in order to determine whether or not he is a suitable adoptive father.  If he adopts your daughter, he also assumes the financial obligation to help support your daughter until she becomes an adult.  That remains the case even if you later break up.
I would recommend that you and your boyfriend find an attorney locally who does adoptions in order to ask this question and any others that you might have.  At that time you can also talk about the fees involved in the adoption process and how an adoption home study is conducted.
In this way, you and your boyfriend will have a more complete understanding of the entire process before you begin.
Good luck.

Adoption Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Peter C. Winkler, CSW


I have experience with adoption subsidy, the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children and variety of other adoption related matters. I hope that I can be helpful to those who are considering adoption or would like to adopt a child.


I am a social worker with an MSW and I have over thirty years of experience in family and children's services. I have worked as Director of adoption services and of the Interstate Compact in a large state agency. I have also provided direct services to children and families in a preventive services program. I currently prepare adoption studies for those who are adopting domestically or internationally.

Masters in SW

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]