Adoption Issues/Adopting my brother from out of state

I would like to know what the easiest and cheapest way to adopt my 5 year old brother from out of state would be. My husband and I live in VA and my bother lives in NY, Our mother has 6 kids in her 3 bedroom apartment and she heavily uses drugs and alcohol. She has a current CPS case right now and has had many in the past. My husband is 19 and I'm 16. Any Advice?

Thank you for your question.  In NYS adoptive parent applicants must be at least 18 years old.  However because you are married and you are talking about your brother, you may have the ability to receive custody.  Since she has an open child protective case, perhaps you should contact CPS to inform them of your stability and desire to help your brother.  Speaking to an attorney in NYS would be a good idea too.  You may be able to petition for guardianship if adoption was not possible yet.  
Best wishes to you and your family.

Adoption Issues

Adoption STAR

Questions related to domestic and international adoption.

22 years in the adoption field. Michele Fried is the founder and chair of Adoption STAR. Her foremost responsibilities are the implementation of strategic plans and agency growth/expansion, financial management, board partnerships and supervision of the staff. Michele has her hands full with these responsibilities as well as initiating marketing and public relation campaigns and executing and implementing policies developed by the Board of Directors.

Before starting Adoption STAR. Michele worked as an educator in Pennsylvania and then after she and her husband adopted their first child, she entered the field of adoption. In 1989 she founded an adoption agency licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Micheleís own family began to grow and they chose to return home to Western New York. Michele began working locally as an Inclusion Coordinator for individuals with developmental disabilities. As the years went by, Michele was inspired by the great need for a passionate, advocacy based, non-profit child-welfare agency in this area and so Adoption STAR was born in March of 2000! Michele is very proud of the work Adoption STAR has done and continues to do, and states she is touched by the incredible birth mothers that work with the agency.

The community-at-large has also noticed Michele and her agency. In 2003 Michele received a Business First 40 Under Forty Award and in 2004 WKBW-TV honored Michele by selecting her to be one of the communityís Everyday Heroes. The YWCA also honored Michele in 2005 by selecting her as one of twenty-six women making a difference in Western New York. In 2009 Michele was the recipient of a Business First Women of Influence Entrepreneur Award. On May 1, 2010 during the Dazzling Decade ~ A Night of Starís 10th Birthday Gala, Micheleís own agency presented her with the First Michele Fried Founderís Award. In the future, this award will be given annually to an individual whose contributions, expertise, and dedication to adoption mirror Micheleís.