Adoption Issues/ADOPTION

Question
11 years ago my wife had a child with another man. Both of us have raised this child together. That man has never seen the child or wants anything to do with her. At this time we don't even know where he lives because he moved. At the time of her birth my wife put his name for her last name. We live in Maryland. My question is what is the procedure for me to adopt her so she will legally belong to both of us.

Answer
Thank you for your question Peter.
The process should not be too difficult.  I advise contacting a family law attorney in your community and state that you wish to legally adopt your wife's biological child.  Since the child's birth father has not been in the child's life, and you have provided love, security and financial assistance in raising this child as your own, you would apply for what is known as a step-parent adoption.  
This link will provide you more specific information regarding the requirements in the state of MD.
http://www.annearundelfamilylawyers.com/the-basics-of-step-parent-adoption-in-ma

Best wishes to you!
Michele
http://www.adoptionstar.com

Adoption Issues

Adoption STAR