Adoption Issues/Parents and their Kids' Sexuality

Good day. I'm sure this is a common concern among parents that you encounter but still I have to ask. How do parents deal with their kids being homosexual? What should the proper response be? And what about my kid being a transexual? What can I do to support him? Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

Hello Lour,
I must first apologize for the delayed response.  

The answer to this for me has always been support and love.  Although as parents we may not understand, desire or condone things our children do, we must be supportive.  It is desperately what they crave.  You can share your feelings and I'm sure your child already has perceived your response.  Nonetheless, more than anything our children crave our acceptance of them as important to us.  So, be supportive and loving.  It may be easier said than done, but it leaves the door open for better communication and continued relationship.

I hope that helps,

Chandricka Mose

Adoption Issues

Chandricka R. Mose, LCSW-C, LICSW, ACSW

EXTENSIVE!! I can answer questions about issues pertaining to foster care, treatment foster care, foster care to adopt matters, kinship care, reunification and homestudy concerns and process.

I have 20 years of experience ih this arena. I have worked in preventing youth from entering care and provided case management to youth and families in care. I have conducted and supervised training for foster and adoptive parents in both the presercive and inservice phases. I have conducted and supervised parenting skills training for parents seeking to regain custody of their children. I also held positions as program supervisor and director of foster care services. I am an advocate for youth, professionals and parents that find theselves involved in the foster care and/or adoption process. I have also experienced foster care and adoption personally as I grew up with a mom who provided foster care services and have two adopted siblings.

I am on the Advisory Committee of Kayla's Village. This is an advocacy and training organization for youth, professionals and parents involved with the child welfare system.

I have not been published, but serve as the social work expert at the Kayla's Village ask the expert free on-line service. I have also presented at a national conference on foster care and adoption issues.

I have a Bachelor of Social Work from Howard University and a Master of Science in Social Work from Columbia University. I am clinically licensed in both Maryland and Washington, DC.

I was once honored as Employee of the Year.