You are here:

Adoption Issues/international adoption


can a 42 year old christian US citizen who is a divorcee having two sons aged 18 plus and a daughter aged 13 adopt a 7 year old girl child who is Sikh by faith and is currently residing in India with her biological parents ? If yes, than can the adotpter do it independently or she has to do through the accredited agencies in the US ?

Dear Abhishek-
Although I have worked on international adoptions over the last 15 years, I have never dealt with any child from India.  One of the reasons for this is that India has a very low international adoption placement rate and consequently few agencies handle adoptions from that country.
I would suggest that you search the Internet for American adoption agencies that say they do adoption placements from India.  Once you have discussed the specific circumstance with a knowledgeable staff member, you will have a a better idea as to whether the particular adoption that you contemplate is feasible.
Another hurdle you would encounter is getting approval from Immigration and Naturalization Services of US homeland Security to adopt this child.  I don't think they will approve the placement you're contemplating because this child is not an orphan or in a one parent family.
I'm sorry that I can't offer more hope regarding such an adoption.

Adoption Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Peter C. Winkler, CSW


I have experience with adoption subsidy, the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children and variety of other adoption related matters. I hope that I can be helpful to those who are considering adoption or would like to adopt a child.


I am a social worker with an MSW and I have over thirty years of experience in family and children's services. I have worked as Director of adoption services and of the Interstate Compact in a large state agency. I have also provided direct services to children and families in a preventive services program. I currently prepare adoption studies for those who are adopting domestically or internationally.

Masters in SW

©2017 All rights reserved.