Adoption Issues/Adopt-a-Friend


My 16 year old friend was just separated from her mother and step-father by the court and placed in Ohio's foster care system. My husband and I are both 19 with stable, decently paying jobs and an apartment in Indiana. We have both always felt a sort of big-brother type relationship to her and don't want to see her swallowed by the system. We were thinking we could adopt her and become her legal guardians. My question is, would it be possible to do this, and if so, how would we go about doing it?

It would be extremely difficult to adopt her and the legal costs would be high.  The first step would  be to get her parents to terminate their parental rights.  Then if 19 year olds can aadopt in your state, you 2 would have to have an adoption study done.  Even then you would have to get the ok of the agency supervising her placement.  In short, it would probably be very hard to pull off.  If, I were you I would just try to stay in contact to support her.  

Adoption Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Peter C. Winkler, CSW


I have experience with adoption subsidy, the Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children and variety of other adoption related matters. I hope that I can be helpful to those who are considering adoption or would like to adopt a child.


I am a social worker with an MSW and I have over thirty years of experience in family and children's services. I have worked as Director of adoption services and of the Interstate Compact in a large state agency. I have also provided direct services to children and families in a preventive services program. I currently prepare adoption studies for those who are adopting domestically or internationally.

Masters in SW

©2017 All rights reserved.