Adoption Issues/Adopt-a-Friend

Question
My 16 year old friend was just separated from her mother and step-father by the court and placed in Ohio's foster care system. My husband and I are both 19 with stable, decently paying jobs and an apartment in Indiana. We have both always felt a sort of big-brother type relationship to her and don't want to see her swallowed by the system. We were thinking we could adopt her and become her legal guardians. My question is, would it be possible to do this, and if so, how would we go about doing it?

Answer
It would be extremely difficult to adopt her and the legal costs would be high.  The first step would  be to get her parents to terminate their parental rights.  Then if 19 year olds can aadopt in your state, you 2 would have to have an adoption study done.  Even then you would have to get the ok of the agency supervising her placement.  In short, it would probably be very hard to pull off.  If, I were you I would just try to stay in contact to support her.  

Adoption Issues

Peter C. Winkler, CSW