Adoption Issues/Searching for my birth mother

QUESTION: I only know my date of birth and the hospital I was born at.How do I find out anything about her? I don't have a lot of money to pay for searches.

ANSWER: Roxann, identifying birth family members may be as simple as requesting your records. Even if the search becomes complicated, well-qualified help is available free of charge. Thank you for writing.

If you are an adopted adult who was born in Washington State, please print and complete the form at this link:

And mail it to Washington State Department of Health at the address on the form.

Congratulations on your decision to search for your birth mother, Roxann, and thank you for your question. I hope I have been some help. Please write to me again if you have additional questions.

QUESTION: I was born in California.

If you are an adult adopted person who was born/adopted in California (or any other US State where adoption records and original birth certificates are sealed by the courts), learning more about your beginnings could become a process. Some quests are easier than others.

For California, start here:

Please let me know if you think I can help further, Roxann. Thank you, again, for the opportunity to help.

Adoption Issues

Alice Allen, Rev (ULC)

Adoption Reunion and Reconciliation - "Do I matter to you?" - To adopted persons and their families, it is an especially important question. I offer guidance related to post-adoption search and reunion. Questions about how to search, what to expect of reunion, and where to locate resources are welcome. Please 'View Profile' for more detail.

Universalist minister and counselor specializing in post-adoption search, reunion, and reconciliation issues. Founder of GrannysCupboard, a ULC ministry that assists individuals who are searching for missing or estranged family and community members. Confidential information provided to GrannysCupboard is not shared without explicit permission. All costs associated with search service are paid by GrannysCupboard. No fees are charged.

see above

Please note: Details that you provide in your questions to me may be posted to the AllExperts site. This means that your personal information could be displayed for the world to see. If this concerns you, please adhere to the following guidelines when communicating with me through

GUIDELINES: Keep questions general in nature, while giving enough information to explain the situation. GrannysCupboard cautions against sharing personally identifying information in public arenas such as AllExperts.

[Personally identifying information includes, for instance: dates of birth, social security numbers, drivers license and registration numbers, full names (past and present), education and/or employment histories, financial data, account ids and passwords, home and business addresses (past and present), telephone numbers, and photographs.

Providing this type of information about yourself, your family, or your friends can lead to misuse by persons with less-than-honorable intentions. There are times when GrannysCupboard may want more information in order to provide high quality service. In these cases, we will arrange for the transfer of that information privately. ~ Granny]

If your question is search related, please DO submit your question privately. We will follow up with a request for details. It is a matter of safety.

Providing an accurate answer to your question requires only the limited information called for in these guidelines. Please do not put yourself or your loved ones at risk by sharing personally identifying information in public arenas. Thank you.