Adoption Issues/Adopting out of birth order

Question
My husband and I are in the process of an Ethiopian adoption. We have recently received a referral for a sibling group of 4 (a 10 y/o boy, a 9 y/o girl, and 6 y/o boy and girl twins). We have 5 y/o boy and girl twins, a 7 y/o boy, and an 8 y/o girl we adopted from Haiti 4 yrs earlier, as well as our 9, 12, and 15 y/o biological daughters (I know, big family right?). Anyways, I was wondering how we could make the transition home a bit easier (since the new children can't speak much English, they're school-aged, and we're adopting out of birth order for the first time). Also, should we wait for a few months before sending the kids to school? We're bringing them home in November, and I know that newly adopted children need time to bond with their new parents after arriving home. I was thinking about homeschooling, then sending them off to school in about 2 or 3 months.

Answer
Maria,
Congratulations on the adoption of a sibling group.  It is very exciting.  You do have a big family, and I relate as a mother of ten.  As an adoption professional and a mom, I have researched your questions for years and I have found the suggested reading below and website link and therapist Dr. Arthur Becker Weidman incredibly wise.  Their experience with older child adoption, particularly international adoption, is extensive.  If you are not familiar with them or their literature, I highly recommend delving into it.  Dr. Becker Weidman particularly addresses the question of transition and school.  I used to not be the biggest advocate of home schooling and have changed my mind after witnessing the struggles older adoptees had acclimating to a healthy home life while at the same time adjusting to school.  I recommend keeping the children with you as much as possible and slowly introducing school outside the home.  
However, I would also like to share that you should follow your intuition. You already are experienced parents.  Best wishes to you and your beautiful family.
~ Michele Fried, Adoption STAR, Inc.

http://www.center4familydevelop.com/

Attachment Parenting: Developing Connections and Healing Children
by Arthur Becker-Weidman and Deborah Shell

Parenting the Hurt Child: Helping Adoptive Families Heal and Grow Paperback – June 15, 2009
by Gregory Keck and Regina Kupecky  

Adoption Issues

Adoption STAR