Adoption Issues/Adoption Research

Hi there.

I am doing research for a book (i'm sure you hear that all the time - i'm sorry to be another.)

I am interesting in finding out how someone would track down their birth parents. If the birth took place in Indiana in 1970, I know there would be an original birth certificate and an amended one. I am aware that many details may change between the two.

If someone worked in the County Department of Health in 1991, would they have had access to the sealed files with the original document? Where would these have been stored? Were sealed files stored differently than other files? Were these kept in boxes or books or file cabinets?

I do know that if it was a matter of health that the person might have been able to gain access to the files but if it wasn't, I am wondering if a low level employee of the county department of health, or an intern, would have been able to somehow see the files.

I sure appreciate this. Thank you

Thank you for your question and best of luck with your research.

I do not work in Indiana, so am not familiar with the laws in that state regarding sealed adoption records and recommend you reach out to the specialists in Indiana.  I have provided contact information below.  I did find an article that you may be interested in:

Indiana Department of Child Services
100 N. Senate Avenue
IGCN Room N848 MS48
Indianapolis, IN 46204

State Interstate Compact on Adoption and Adoption Specialist
Jennifer Haselwander, Assistant Deputy Director
100 N. Senate Avenue
IGCN Room N848 MS48
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Phone: (317) 234-5841
Fax: (317) 234-4547

I hope this information helps.  Other information on U.S. Sealed adoption records can be found:

All the best,

Adoption Issues

Adoption STAR

Questions related to domestic and international adoption.

22 years in the adoption field. Michele Fried is the founder and chair of Adoption STAR. Her foremost responsibilities are the implementation of strategic plans and agency growth/expansion, financial management, board partnerships and supervision of the staff. Michele has her hands full with these responsibilities as well as initiating marketing and public relation campaigns and executing and implementing policies developed by the Board of Directors.

Before starting Adoption STAR. Michele worked as an educator in Pennsylvania and then after she and her husband adopted their first child, she entered the field of adoption. In 1989 she founded an adoption agency licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Michele’s own family began to grow and they chose to return home to Western New York. Michele began working locally as an Inclusion Coordinator for individuals with developmental disabilities. As the years went by, Michele was inspired by the great need for a passionate, advocacy based, non-profit child-welfare agency in this area and so Adoption STAR was born in March of 2000! Michele is very proud of the work Adoption STAR has done and continues to do, and states she is touched by the incredible birth mothers that work with the agency.

The community-at-large has also noticed Michele and her agency. In 2003 Michele received a Business First 40 Under Forty Award and in 2004 WKBW-TV honored Michele by selecting her to be one of the community’s Everyday Heroes. The YWCA also honored Michele in 2005 by selecting her as one of twenty-six women making a difference in Western New York. In 2009 Michele was the recipient of a Business First Women of Influence Entrepreneur Award. On May 1, 2010 during the Dazzling Decade ~ A Night of Star’s 10th Birthday Gala, Michele’s own agency presented her with the First Michele Fried Founder’s Award. In the future, this award will be given annually to an individual whose contributions, expertise, and dedication to adoption mirror Michele’s.