Adult Film/Interviewing Female Talent for the Porn Industry, Qualifying Aspiring Adult Film Starlets

Question
Reference:

4/10/2011

Question answered by you: Adult Film/What's the best/appropriate way to interview female models before a film shoot?

In your response, (Which by the way, your explanational ability is exceptional. I may have questions for you in the future if they aren't already covered here by you.)Not that you NEED MY Bravo, but you're getting one anyway ; )) , you state ".....If the model is a brand-new girl, then it might be wise to do a little more intensive interview process. Do whatever you need to become confident that the model will (A) actually show up, (B) not show up on drugs, (C) show up with a clean, valid, unexpired STD test, (D) not show up with her pimp-mack-daddy waiting outside in his '64 Impala, (E) not run out the door when your male talent pulls his dick out, etc., etc., etc."

I wouldn't consider myself new at interviewing adult talent by any means. I've just never had so much riding on my capabilities at this level before. I'm a bit of an ace when it comes to "very-experienced", "features", "star level and quality". Not bragging at all, I wouldn't be here like you are if I had bragging rights, correct? Just so I can get this ALL abundantly clear, let's just pretend; A. I'm not creative enough in my thought process to fill in the etc., etc., etc., by myself. OR B. I've not been in the adult industry for a decade. Thus, rendering me ignorant to all of the possible situations adult performers/entertainers are capable of placing themselves, their employers, colleagues etc. into, both knowingly as well as somehow unwittingly.

I'm hoping to get your input as to what you would replace said etc., etc., etc., ('s) with based on your experiences. If you could please center any suggestions and situations primarily around those who fall into the categories containing Female amateurs who are basically unknown, absolute first timer's or those who are 18/19 and haven't been using fake ID's for the last three years to master their hustles and pole tricks, and lastly; (Unless you'd be my absolute new hero and let me in on a few commonly encountered curve balls thrown by women within other categories?) those who comprise the honestly unwitting and often misinformed individuals. What would you suggest I look out for in your opinion? How would YOU "trick", for lack of a better word, them into letting you know they'd be a risk for incidents which commonly affect companies negatively? What are examples of mistakes made by talent that have proven fatal to a production company? Can these occurrences be be prevented by specific questions as well? How about this... what mistakes are most commonly made by management or casting that can leave lasting effects on their company?  I apologize for the length of this. It's just that through all of my adult industry experience, both on & offline in addition to all of the extensive and often exhaustive research performed by myself and my assistant which is too often also outdated or incorrect. It's hard to find reliable information presented so...perfectly pieced together. This makes your answers easily obtainable win addition to being a superior reference source knowledge retention. I hope to at least get a response from you regarding the etc.,'s and if nothing else, a couple mistakes to AVOID AT ALL COSTS. Please, I don't mean the obvious examples everyone should know . I'm kinda looking for a couple things you've picked up which aren't apparent red flags and how to spot them. Thanks. Again, I'm truley sorry for this...novel...I've sent you.

Answer
SayJay,

Thank you for coming to me with your question. And wow! I must say that you "take the cake" for the most eloquent and thoroughly-put-together question I've received since I began volunteering as an expert on this site.

Not the shortest question I've received, and not the longest either... but I believe I understand what you're asking. :)

Too often, I've seen - even amongst what I would consider "legitimate" and established adult film producers, directors, agents, etc. - a "lower-than-it-should-be" level of professionalism from some (but not all) folks that work in the actual porn industry, and also from folks claiming a desire to become a part of it.

Just recently, I've declined to answer 3 questions - in a row - on this site from individuals that have the misconception, "since this is an industry that involves ass, titties, and f***ing, that gives me (or whoever) the free-reign to speak & behave however I want around members of the industry... all professionalism can now be thrown out the window, BECAUSE this is porn."

It's a regular occurrence for some (but not all) supposed "legit" porn producers, agents, directors, etc. to feel at liberty to "blur the line" between the legit and professional adult film industry and other "things" that are not professional, not "legit", and often outright illegal*.

Some examples? Some of the biggest agencies in the California porn industry literally publicly advertise their models for "privates", a rinky-dink way of describing prostitution, to "[rich men] with a discriminating taste" (tricks) that have nothing whatsoever to do with the porn industry; prostitution is, in fact, illegal in the State of California.

In other words, girls getting into the porn industry via representation OTHER THAN LicensedModels.com (http://www.LicensedModels.com) are often (with several of the largest licensed & bonded talent agencies in the business) signing up for TWO SEPARATE JOBS at once. They are signing up for (1) a porn agent for porn and (2) a pimp or madam for prostitution. 2 things at once... one legal, and the other not! That's a fact.

One of the highest-profile talent agencies in the business openly & publicly has 2 separate websites. The one rhymes with "Smell A Indirect Models" and the other is a website to advertise their "companions" (prostitutes) to untested-for-HIV & STD's tricks (customers of prostitutes)*! When a girl signs up with this so-called "Licensed & Bonded Porn Agency" her photos immediately get added to 2 separate online profiles (one on each website). Not to mention, the President of that same agency is reported to allegedly make his clients perform oral sex on him in public places like nightclubs, whenever he asks. The President of "Type Dine Models" allegedly (reported by numerous past clients of his) demands the same, only at his "model house" instead of in public.

I guess that part becomes "consensual" only because the naive young woman does indeed make the decision to engage in that activity, only because (for obvious reasons) she wants to stay on her agent's "good side".

"Mo-C Modeling" rhymes with the name of another large Agency that allegedly does the same thing, as far as soliciting customers for their "porn models" for the sole purpose of prostitution, and not for legitimate porn movies. Don't just take my word for it. Check out this alleged leaked conversation between "Mo-C Modeling" and their client porn star Gia Steel: http://giasteel.tumblr.com/image/29786497951 *

And these are not the only "licensed & bonded porn agencies" that blur the line. They don't ALL engage in this practice, to my knowledge, but a lot of them do. Perhaps even "most" of them.

"Soxxx Modeling" hosts bogus casting calls to recruit talent. ("Come try out for an $800 - $900 scene for bla bla bla production company..." The girl shows up. Surprise! "No actual job, but we would like to sign you!") No joke! This stuff actually happens.

All the meanwhile, these "agencies" have the audacity to clique together and tout themselves as the kings and queens of the legitimate American porn industry, banding together to fight the "forces of evil" that "threaten the porn industry" (like, they claim, the business activities of LEGITIMATE talent managers, etc.)!!

C-rated (but not A-rated) producers will sometimes try to pay an aspiring porn starlet a few dollars for sexual gratification off-camera. Some C-rated directors will f**k the female talent off camera, and she'll go along with it... hoping to guarantee herself more work form the director in the future. The agencies mentioned above are more-than-happy to oblige them, so long as the agent gets a little cut.*

Other producers (generally because they are broke) will try to book a model - for example - through her agent for a blowjob scene... with the full-intention of attempting to pay her a few extra dollars, behind her agent's back, once she's on set (which, in their case, is often their nasty apartment), to do more than just a blowjob scene.

Some producers will work with untested (for HIV & STD's) talent. Others provide drugs including (but not limited to) alcohol to (even under drinking age) performers.

For the record, the Company I represent (LicensedModels.com) thankfully is NOT one of the companies that "blurs the line" between professionalism and illicit/illegal/illegit activities (as in the examples mentioned above). The names of those companies are (for the most part) not stated directly, primarily because I'm not interested in providing free-adverting for hypocritical & shady operations. Sexy young female aspiring adult film stars (age 18+) may apply online for LEGITIMATE management & promotion in the porn industry at http://www.licensedmodels.com/porn_star_application.html

I, personally, hate this "blur the line between legit and not, just because it's porn" misconception, and I disagree with it - in its entirety. Of course, the models aren't required to have the IQ of a rocket scientist (although they most certainly could). And it's true that this is a pretty straight-forward business. The product is, in fact, ass, titties, and f***ing on camera.

But it is nonetheless a legitimate & legal (at least in California) INDUSTRY, and I believe that everyone involved in it - from the licensed men-of-law that represent our industry (such as those my co-volunteers on this site), to the producers, agents, directors, photographers, talent managers, and even the nasty lil' c**k-loving female amateur performers that seek to break into this awesome business every day of the week - should treat it as such, with as much pride, dignity & professionalism as humanly possible.

Folks in the business AND folks seeking to enter the business should "get off the damn fence", and make a choice: Am I going to get involved in the illegal and illicit prostitution industry as a pimp, madam or hooker (or trick) ...OR... am I going to get involved in the legitimate porn industry? That's what I've been preaching for 7 or 8 years, and I'm not stopping anytime soon. :)

So, it's refreshing to get that kind of question (a smart & professional XXX question) from an intelligent young person like yourself.

As for my "replacement" for the "etc., etc., etc." in my previous response that you mentioned...

The late Ed Cohen (President of Dane Productions) once explained to me in his office that "escorts" often have a tougher time breaking into the porn industry than a girl without that sort of experience. He said that escorts often enter the industry with a "clock on their head" and a twisted perception of reality and the SEX BUSINESS.

I've found that to be an issue as well. It is certainly "overcome-able" in some cases, but it can be something to look out for. Girls with a background in prostitution are often (not always, but "often") coming from a corrupted paradigm about sex, sex for money, men, men in authority, respect & life in general.

In fact, just earlier this afternoon, I had to inform a perfectly-decent-looking escort from Central California (on a speakerphone call with her and her pimp) that - although they are nice people - their present paradigm about the BUSINESS OF SEX simply will not mesh with that of LicensedModels.com, the Company I represent. She wanted to meet with us tomorrow evening for an interview, but we declined her, NOT based solely on her background as a prostitute, NOR because of a rotten attitude, but more because they had the following paradigm:

"As a prostitute (or pimp), I have experience in selling my body (or other people's bodies) for cash. Therefore, even though I have limited (or no) experience in the legit porn industry, I am still able to enter the porn industry... and then dictate exactly how things are going to work in that industry. After all, I've been in the 'adult' industry for X-number-of-years. Porn & prostitution are essentially the same thing."

And, as President Obama told Mr. Romney in the recent presidential debates, that is entirely W-R-O-N-G. It's ass-backwards-thinking. There's no nice way to say it.

So that's something to watch out for. If given the choice, you want young sexy c**k-loving girls that haven't been corrupted by prostitution. Strippers & cam girls are OK. Escorts are much tougher to work with, at least until they are "re-programmed", mentally. Fresh is ALWAYS best. :-) Also, not everyone does, but I have the liberty of working exclusively with girls that COME TO ME. Although I pass out business cards to hot chicks on the "street", nearly 100% of my models come to me, because the idea of becoming a porn star FIRST appeared in their own mind, and that's why they hunt ME down (not the other way around). If that's possible for you, then that's what I recommend, as much as possible.

To answer your other question, there is no "tricking" involved, at least in LicensedModels.com's policies & procedures. Especially when dealing with women, it's not always about WHAT you say/ask, but more about HOW you say/ask it. My "how" is being a very straight-forward man, so I'll often just come out and tell a model (or aspiring model): "Here's the situation... these are the requirements... and that's it." The money-makers will do what's needed. The time-wasters won't, and they'll fly off into the night. (Which is exactly what would happen, regardless.)

"Fatal mistakes"? I don't know about literally "fatal"... but I know you don't mean that literally. It's really more basic things, like I mentioned before the "etc. etc. etc." in my previous response: showing up, showing up on time, having your ID and test available... basic "common sense" things like that.

Again, it's not rocket-science. But we make sure our models are reliable and have a good attitude about working in the porn industry before we "throw them" on a Company like a Reality Kings or Brazzers. :)

Specific questions to ask them? Check out our application on LicensedModels.com (http://www.licensedmodels.com/porn_star_application.html). Those are honestly the best questions to preliminarily "size up" a potential porn star.

Don't over-analyze it. The business REALLY IS about ass, titties and f**king on camera. What we do, at LicensedModels.com, is apply an ultra-professional, ultra-serious & highly-exclusive pre-qualification and qualification process to girls that are applying to get involved in this business. We decline 75% - 90% of the pre-qualified girls that apply with us, and closer to 90% - 98% of the total applicants with our Company, most of the time on the basis that the applicant is not serious about making money in the legit porn industry. Some folks don't have this luxury, because they have less of a high-profile than we do, and therefore less applicants.

I guess, in summary, I'll give you - per your request - the #1 mistake to avoid at all costs could be:

Sitting on the fence between legitimate porn & (any other illegit business, mindset or behavior).

Don't do it! Pick a side (although I'm sure you personally have already), maintain the same level of professionalism in your business activities as you did when coming to me for advice, and then "go hard or go home"... that's my recommendation. :)

Thanks again for your question. Congrats to the Browns defeating the Chargers by a point yesterday.

Hakuna Matata,

Mike the Talent Manager
Senior Vice President
www.LicensedModels.com

*All suspects of illegal activity are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Statements pertaining to illegal conduct are alleged. Some of these statements are based on actions that Mike has seen with his own eyes, and others are hearsay, but believable enough for Mike to chose to publish them in this forum. Mike is not a lawyer or judge.

Adult Film

Mike the Talent Manager