Adult Film/home made video

Question
HI

I am in Canada and 18+. To make the story shorter, somebody contacted me from California and asked me for a sex
video. An independent agent. I was not convinced with the deal because i had to go to the Cameraman's place and do it; and then we will get paid. Anyway, we did the shooting and tried to contact the guy. No news so far. The only intelligent thing is we did NOT sign a release, so we still have the rights and the video copy : ) ; but we are kinda of stuck with the material. What can we do with it?
Thanks

Answer
MS,

It may be more complicated than you described.  Even though you didn't sign a release, the cameraman may hold a copyright interest in the video.  Under U.S. Copyright law, a copyright ordinarily vests in the creator of the work automatically, without the need for any documentation.  So if you were to attempt to license or sell the material, the cameraman may claim he is entitled to fees or royalties as a copyright holder in the material.

My suggestion is to not attempt to do anything with this material unless and until you get a full release of rights from this cameraman.  If you would like to discuss your situation further with me, feel free to contact me through my website at adultwebsitelawyer.com.

Adult Film

Dan Pepper