Adult Film/Hurricane Sandy

Question
I heard about Exxxotica giving back convention coming to the east coast in a few days.Now knowing how controversial porn is and knowing that its production only legal in two states do you think these efforts will be met with backlash (because it is porn) or further promote porn and give it a good or better name as it may raise a lot of humanitarian aid maybe even the biggest thus far.Whats your theory on this?

Answer
For starters, I don't think that production of porn is legal in only two states. See http://www.xxxlaw.com/articles/pornography.and.porn.html It's won in the only two cases that have been brought in recent decades that don't involve a purely personal purpose. Prosecutors are reluctant to charge the making of pornography as prostitution because they know what the courts are likely to say, they know it's likely to be a result that they don't like, and they don't want to be blamed for bringing the case that legitimated the making of pornography and the creation of a fearless adult industry in their jurisdiction; they'd rather have people think that it's all fuzzy and "grey" and imprecise because that keeps a lid on its profile.

Second, I think that personal consumption of porn isn't all that controversial. We're a nation based on personal freedom and choice in what we read and view and that's why "Liberty" is on every coin. There are small, tattered, groups out there trying to make it controversial, but they are kinda like what H L Mencken said about prudes, people who lie awake in bed worrying that there just might he somebody out there having a good time. Abundant evidence exists tending to establish that the dramatic decrease in rape and sexual assaults against women has been steadily declining in lockstep with increased availability of porn via the Internet. I believe that large numbers of potential assaults against women wind up in a trash can, fantasy realized and done with for the moment, at least. An entire generation has grown up with the Tube sites that pump out wall to wall free porn for the asking; it's so pervasive that the making of personal porn at home has become commonplace and many if not most couples under 35 or so seem to have tried their hand at it - or some other bodily part. And it's not shame that keeps it in the shadows, it's just personal modesty. You sure can find people who want to fight about porn, but that's really not mainstream - you can find people who will argue about whether man really walked on the moon, too. This nation now accepts hardcore as a permanent part of the landscape, even those who find it not to their liking. Hey, that's their right, too, in a free country. Read more about that at http://www.xxxlaw.com and check out the page "about liberty" linked from the front page menu and the many articles.

And I predict that there will be a wide variety of reactions. Those who are uncomfortable with it, and who project their personal and relationship insecurities onto the hackneyed claim that the spouse is a "sex addict" instead of looking in the mirror with introspection to resolve the human and relationship issues, will have nothing good and everything bad to say about it. The majority can be counted on to recognize that it's just a tactical move for good PR that won't make much of a dent in the overall problem that the East Coast is facing. And the fans of porn will say "Bravo" and go on eloquently about how wonderful the porn world is. This show, remember, is a consumer show, not an Adult Industry event, and it's all about favorable PR. During the Great Chicago Fire, more than one hundred years ago, Schlitz send down some cold kegs from Milwaukee by horse and carriage for the Chicagoans. They never forgot, and Schlitz was Chicago's beer of choice for decades. You can still see the Schlitz logo built into the bricks of old buildings once used as taverns. Same deal here.

All the best,

JD  

Adult Film

J. D. Obenberger