Adult Film/Home Based Porn Production

Question
Dan, I live in Las Vegas and am in the process of starting an Adult Content production company. I am confused because I have been told there are Legal and Zoning limitations that must be considered. I lease a home with over 5000 sr ft and 6 bedrooms, four of witch I had planed to use as different "Set" with the 5th as my Production office.

I know zoning comes into play when a commercial property is leased for an adult business, but do the same requirements come into play with a home based business, and if so what considerations do I need to look closely at before launching this project?

Thank you for taking the time to volunteer on this site.

Answer
Xavier,

Although zoning ordinances typically do come into play when using a property for commercial purposes, you will not find a zoning ordinance in Las Vegas that specifically permits the production of adult content.  

Other vital considerations including recognizing the risk of prosecution for prostitution in connection with your production, preparing effective and enforceable model releases, production and crew agreements, 2257 compliance, obscenity issues, intellectual property protection, among others.  Some of these issues will turn on the nature of the content you wish to produce and how you plan on distributing it.

I strongly advise you retain an attorney knowledgeable in this area before you begin any production.  If you'd like to discuss your situation with me further, feel free to contact me through adultwebsitelawyer.com.

Good luck!  

Adult Film

Dan Pepper