Adult Film/Adult film production, porn production, start working in/get foot in door, in the porn industry

Question
Hi mike
i was wondering if you can help me on a certain question.  I'm a student about graduate from college and was wondering on where i can go to work in the adult industry production side.  i want to work on set like in crew with cameras operations. My dream is to one day be a director in this wonderful industry.  what do i do to get my foot through the door?

Answer
Mike,

Thanks for coming to me with your porno question, and thank your parents for giving you the most beautiful name for a man (Michael / Mike) that exists on the planet today. Always nice to meet a fellow "Mike", and especially one that is passionate about this wonderful, fabulous, spectacular industry called the Straight U.S. Porn Industry!

Woooo-hoooo!! :-)

The good news is, for the time being anyway (and for the past several decades), the American porn industry didn't decide to settle-down on the opposite side of the country from the mainstream Hollywood movie studios and mainstream Hollywood film production industry.

- Paramount Pictures
- New Line Cinema
- NBCUniversal (and also their accompanying Theme Park and City)
- Fox
- DreamWorks
- MGM
- The Weinstein Company
- Lions Gate Entertainment
- Disney
- Warner Bros.
- Sony (reportedly the largest) & Columbia Pictures (a subsidiary of Sony)

And these are just "the majors"; there are hundreds of smaller Hollywood production companies as well. Each of these companies is headquartered right here in my hometown of Los Angeles, CA.

From the actual town of Hollywood, and the City of Los Angeles, there is an actual mountain range (check it out http://bit.ly/GHbjHQ on Google Maps) that is roughly 2-miles wide at its narrowest and roughly 12 - 15-miles wide at its widest. This mountain range stretches straight from the Pacific Ocean to more-inland Hollywood; it contains the Hollywood Hills, part of Beverly Hills, Bel Air & Beverly Glen (all of which have some very sweet & very expensive homes).

Most importantly, to stay on topic, this mountain range separates Hollywood and the rest of Los Angeles from another part of Los Angeles that "civilians" call the San Fernando Valley or "The Valley", but which we porn folk call the "San Pornando Valley" or, more commonly, "Porn Valley".

The Company I work for (http://www.crossovermodeling.com/ being our adult-industry division) didn't start in the porn industry. For about 15 years prior to our adult-industry division opening, we managed primarily mainstream Hollywood screen actors (in Hollywood) and fashion models. Most of our work was "on the other side of the hill" (we're based in The Valley).

As far as our parent Company is concerned, it still is.

But as far as I'm concerned (as the Senior V.P. of our adult-industry division), Porn Valley is where it's at. :)

- Penthouse
- Hustler
- Evil Angel
- Kink
- Bang Bros
- New Sensations
- Digital Sin
- Combat Zone
- Digital Playground
- Manwin
- Brazzers
- Elegant Angel
- Reality Kings

All of these (and roughly a hundred or so others) are either headquartered in or maintain a major office in Porn Valley and/or other parts of Los Angeles (mostly Porn Valley).

Point being, come out here with an open-mind. The porn industry is extremely cliquish (think high school) and the only "newbies" most folks in the industry want to welcome with open arms are 18 - 25-year-olds with nice bodies that love to s**k & f**k and haven't been seen before on cam (i.e., female aspiring pornstars).

You can have a GOAL of getting behind the camera in the porn business, and you can do anything you put your mind to, but it's not going to happen overnight. The porn industry is big... mainstream Hollywood is a lot bigger. I would suggest coming out here to get behind the scenes "in the entertainment industry", in general, as opposed to the porn industry in particular. This will open a whole lot of options for you.

Also, you didn't mention if the degree that you're completing is film-related. If not, then it's a good idea to go to film school, if you haven't already.

- NY Film Academy
- Brooks Institute
- AFI

These, and many other good film schools, are also located in or close to Los Angeles.

How to get your foot in the door...

The "porn industry", many newbie models we sign-up don't initially realize, is just a term used to describe a bunch of independently owned-and-operated businesses, most of which are geographically located - for the most part - in close proximity to one another. They might work with the same agencies or talent mgmt. companies or lawyers or testing clinics, they might talk to each other about rates & talent, etc. A lot are friendly with one another... some are enemies... others are split into little factions or "cliques". A lot of directors, makeup girls, and male & female talent will work for multiple production companies in a week.

All-in-all though, I can't speak DIRECTLY on behalf of the entire "porn industry" or for each and every porn production company. I can only speak (or write, in this case) DIRECTLY on behalf of the porn talent mgmt. Company that I work for, which happens to be #1 in the industry for new-girl representation & career launch.

We don't rep guys. But we do WORK WITH a few (and by a few, I mean, very few - besides those on our staff). And the few that work with us came bearing gifts in order to get their foot in the door with us. And I'm not talking about a basket of fresh-baked blueberry muffins (although that might help too). I'm talking about our product... the "product" that our business "sells"... which is sexy, age 18+, SERIOUS-ABOUT-MAKING-MONEY, female aspiring pornstars. That's what catches our attention (we're a Porn Valley porn Company too, don't forget).

Most people (men and women that actually work day-to-day in the actual porn industry, as their full-time job - perhaps even me, depending on how hectic my schedule is on any particular day) wouldn't even give you the time of day with a question like this... coming from an aspiring porn cameraman without any experience or connections. Your e-mails are likely to be deleted without being read.

That's what I got, when I first began working on booting-up our Company's adult-industry division back in 2006/2007. Slammed doors, un-returned phone calls, and a lot of Hollywood "we'll be in touch" B.S.

The industry generally doesn't like, trust or accept "outsiders" very well (again, except aspiring female porn starlets).

There WERE exceptions. Companies that I'm still loyal to today. And there will eventually be exceptions for you, as well... if you keep your nose to the grindstone and focused on your goal. But it won't be easy. It will take a lot of work.

We finally made a major "crack" in the industry, to accept us as a legit provider of new talent, maybe around 2009. Since then, they know, "if we want sexy ACTUAL newbies... we call Mike at (http://www.crossovermodeling.com/)." We took over a big portion of the market.

Our invasion & coup will stop when I'm dead.

My friends & loved ones & those in the porn industry that know me closely, know that's not a joke.

You don't necessarily need THAT level of commitment, but we wouldn't have made it this far, if it wasn't for my having it.

To get your foot in the door with the most passionate talent representation Company in the United States porn industry, as a guy, bring us chicks (http://www.crossovermodeling.com/Recruiting.html).

Since I chose to answer this question for you, Mike, so thoroughly, I will unfortunately not be able to take any follow-up questions on this one. Follow my advice, and you'll pull it off.

***********************
Are you reading this answer, and you are the 18 - 25-year-old with a nice body that loves to s**k & f**k and hasn't been seen before on cam (i.e., a female aspiring pornstar)? Do you want to become rich & famous as the next big adult film star?

Our models are promoted directly to the shot-callers of every production studio (both the porn ones, and the mainstream ones) mentioned above, as well as around 5,500 other porn & mainstream studios, producers, directors, photographers, entertainment networks, fashion designers, magazines, casting directors, ad agencies and more!

Frankly, we're the best in the business. You've just come in contact with #1.

Don't drop out of school, if you're currently enrolled... but you don't need to go to film school to become a female porn star. (We'll teach you EVERYTHING you need to know... that's part of our job, as a talent mgmt. Company.)

But you DO need talent representation, unless you want to seriously limit your career options and be "eaten alive" (taken advantage of).

Apply online for talent management & promotion, ONLY if you are serious about becoming a pornstar TODAY: http://www.crossovermodeling.com/porn_star_application.html  

(If you're not serious, please don't waste our time, or your own. It doesn't MATTER how sexy & sexual you are... it really doesn't... you MUST be SERIOUS as well. As the best, we only rep the best.)
***********************

Thanks again for your question, Mike!

Good luck to you.

Hakuna Matata,

Mike
Senior Vice President
http://www.crossovermodeling.com/

Adult Film

Mike the Talent Manager