Adult Film/Contracts

QUESTION: When someone is in the adult film industry, specifically a CamGirl, is it at all possible to "sponsor" them and/or meet them in person?  I understand that they are under "management" but, are they bound to a contract stating that they are not allowed to travel somewhere to meet someone?  If so, how would I be able to read that kind of contract?

ANSWER: Matthew - in webcam operations there is no template agreement that everyone emulates or follows. Each company that operates webcams offers prospective entertainers its own agreement. I know how I write them for my clients - and it's based on their needs and desires that are influenced by the advice that I give them. The issue you are asking about is one that involves questions of risk and potential liability that should be of interest to anyone involved here. I am not sure that the issue is dealt with identically and uniformly by every cam operation. You should probably read any agreement that you, as a member, enter as part of your registration. It is likely to lay out or lead to rules that will give you an approximate sense of how that company handles those issues. I really don't know how you might read the contract binding the performers without either applying to become a performer yourself, and going through the registration until you reach an agreement that you are asked to accept, or by asking a friendly performer to show you the agreement that she works under. She will either help you or in one way or another or communicate to you somehow that it's none of your business. It's certainly nothing that you have any right to see. If you asked a random cab driver in Chicago if you could look at his contract with the cab company, I have the rough sense of the kind of response you'd get, and I suspect that you just might get the same kind of response here. Maybe if you offer her a tip to show you her contract?

Best wishes,

QUESTION: I have another question relating to being able to sponsor someone.  At first, I was interested in sponsoring a CamGirl when I started talking with her.  She said that in order to sponsor her, it would only be $5 to validate an ID.  Then it turned in to, what seemed like a wild goose-chase, of going to several different cites and making memberships along with upgrading to the paid memberships.  Once she started sending me to the various sites, I stopped.  Apparently I need to validate a member ID in order for her manager to see my ID on their server, which doesn't really make sense.

I tried looking up the actual company that manages her website.  It was a Canadian address that took me to the location of a shopping mall.  I also tried looking into the management company itself, and found no signs of its existence with the exception of just the name if the company on the legal page of her website.

Just curious as to what you think.

Well, I can't look into the heart, soul, and ethics of an unnamed webcam operator, but it strikes me the same way it struck you - flaky. And it reminds me of those protocols for "free" computers that require someone to register all over the Internet and sign up for one "free" introductory offer or another - a path that eventually seems to lead to nowhere worth visiting.

No one ever lost much money betting on the proposition that there are a great many lonely men out there.

A virtual industry has existed for a very long time designed to exploit and monetize that loneliness online. Fake ads in Backpage and Craigslist are designed to harvest email addresses of lonely men and fake profiles in dating sites aim to do the same thing. It lies at the heart of hostess clubs, strip joints, and even escort. Many years in this job convince me that loneliness, even more than a desire for sexual excitement, fuel much of what passes for live adult entertainment in this age. It's hard for men to admit that they are lonely and sad. They may have themselves believing that it's a search for sex when they are really looking for respect, admiration, affection, and an affirmation that some attractive female regards their virility. It's a level of self understanding that requires more effort and not inconsequential pain to realize that such needs are triggering a man's behavior.

You point to an example of what seems to me, at least on the surface, a pretty raw attempt to exploit your sexual and emotional needs. Sure, I agree with you: it looks to me like you are being played like a pipe organ by some virtuoso whose name you'll never know. Smart decision to back off.

Recommendation: Find a real flesh and blood female with a phone number, a voice, and an email address. No guarantees that she won't try to play you, too, but your odds of finding what you are looking for, whatever they are, will be better.

All the best,

Adult Film

J. D. Obenberger

Numerous trials, including jury trials, criminal and civil since 1979. Obscenity. Section 2257. Copyright. Trademark. Communications Decency Act Section 230. Right of Privacy/Right of Publicity. Defamation/Libel/Slander. Warning Pages. Adult Internet Sites. Strip Clubs/Gentlemen's clubs. Massage Parlors. Prostitution. I am the author and operator of, the most comprehensive online legal resource concerning the law of adult entertainment online.

I've been an attorney for 34 years, nearly 20 years as an attorney concentrating in adult entertainment law. Have spoken at 72 adult webmaster show legal seminars and forums in six nations, seven American states, and three provinces of Canada, have appeared on the O'Reilly factor concerning obscenity, have been published by Thompson-Gale. Full qualifications at My firm, J.D. Obenberger and Associates has provided representation in both criminal and civil matters for adult content producers, the operators of adult online businesses, as well as brick and mortar adult operations for nearly twenty years. We provide legal strategy, forms, protocols, and guidance for every kind of adult operation. Our clients find us available 24/7/365 in every emergency. My background includes numerous jury trials including the defense of major drug case in federal court on the Mexican border at Brownsville, forgery, sexual assaults, gun offenses, aggravated kidnapping, and such civil matters as pharmaceutical malpractice, premises and construction liability, and personal injury. I have prosecuted cases in the name of the United States while serving as a Captain in the United States Army Judge Advocate General's Corps. I have represented and advised clients in every part of the United States and from Hong Kong to Budapest. I am a regular columnist for XBIZ World and have published numerous articles in AVN and AVN Online and for YNOT.

First Amendment Lawyers' Association, Free Speech Coalition, National Rifle Association, American Legion.

AVN, XBIZ, YNOT, Online Pornography, published by Thompson-Gale.

Doctor of Law, 1979, University of Wisconsin Law School. Dean's List. Graduate, National Institute of Trial Advocacy. Guest Lecturer, John Marshall Law School. I have presented Continuing Legal Education for practicing attorneys. Undergrad BA, the University of Wisconsin, double major in Political Science and History. Graduate, 90th Basic Judge Advocate General's Course on the campus of the University of Virginia.

Army Commendation Medal awarded as a Captain, US Army Judge Advocate General's Corps, as the most requested criminal defense lawyer in the US Army, Europe.

No legal issue too great or too hot to handle, no client too small to deserve zealous and effective representation.