Adult Film/Porn Acting

Question
So a company called A&R in Oregon wants me to film a porn with them, two scenes for twelve grand. In the state of Oregon, do you have to film before you sign the contract?

Answer
It never makes sense - anywhere - to perform in a film first and only then sign the release contract. That would be extremely unwise for the producer - extremely unwise - and probably pretty unwise for the performer as well.

A performer should require a mutually signed copy before filming begins for his/her own retention. When as much as $12k has been promised, which truly is in the stratosphere as performer pay goes, I would want to see that the money is real before filming to assure that this is not a ploy, scam, or other dishonest ploy. Unless you are an established adult performer or otherwise a person with known celebrity stature, I would suspect a scam until proven otherwise when promises of money in this range are being promised. If you were an experienced performer, you would probably not be writing me here; ergo, this smells funny to me.

No state laws anywhere directly control the sequence.

Nearly twenty states now have statutes (or decided case-law) that prohibit commercial use of images depicting persons without a written, signed release executed by the model/performer. They are silent as to whether that release is to be signed before or after photography, but they do work to require such a release to be executed before commercial distribution.

I know nothing off-hand about this company.

None of the forgoing is legal advice nor does it establish any attorney-client relationship; it provides only general information about the law for the benefit of the public.

All best wishes,

JD

Adult Film

J. D. Obenberger