Adult Film/Replicate and Distribute an adult film of mine

Question
My friends and I produced an adult film back in 2006. It's actually really high quality great stuff, produced and filmed in Columbia. I have the full rights to the film, pictures, music etc......... I was the Executive Producer. We never ended up doing anything with the final product but now I'm ready to sell it. What would be the best way to go about it and what possible liabilities do I have selling it? All actors/actresses were over the age of 18 at time of filming.

Answer
Before I or any lawyer could give you any practical help, there is much more that needs to be confirmed.

You say that you have all the rights. That's a conclusion. Who says? Do the written agreements hold water, are they enforceable, were they entered into under the circumstances that can lead to enforceable contracts?

That all performers were 18 years of age at the time of production is only the start of legal compliance and only avoids very serious child pornography charges. Beyond that, it is a federal felony punishable by five years in prison not to comply in every respect with another federal statute that requires many obligations to be fulfilled that establish a documentary record establishing the identity of the performers, indexing those records in a very particular fashion, and making them available for federal inspection for seven years, also in a very particular fashion. Is this Content completely compliant with Section 2257? Who says? The regulations have changed several times during the time period referenced. Any lawyer would have to look at the original records to see whether you have a merchantable product that could be sold and lawfully published now.

The liabilities that you face, which you ask about, depend on the particular facts. And there is no way to avoid it, if you want to know what risks appear in your content, you need to consult with an attorney competent and experienced in this area. I invite you to contact me through my site at http://www.xxxlaw.com or any of the several dozen attorneys in the US who have experience and competence in handling adult video productions.

Before you do anything at all to sell your video, you need to know what those liabilities are and handle any issues that arise. Because you seem to have no track record as a well-known and respected producer, you can easily imagine that no smart distributor or webmaster will risk doing business with you without looking at this content and its compliance seven ways from Sunday.

All best wishes,

JD

Adult Film

J. D. Obenberger