Adult Film/Selling amateur movies

I want to sell homemade pornographic movies of myself to various websites. Once I sell the movies do I still own the copyright? And can I sell the same movie to more than one website?

You can have it your way, whichever you prefer.

You should register your copyright in the image to perfect your rights to protect against infringement, and to preserve all of those rights and lose none, you should file your registration with the Copyright office within three months of first publication. You can lose valuable rights forever if you fail to do that.

Once your ownership has been formalized by registration, you own it like any other property. And you can use it like other property, too.

You can license it to other people - on an exclusive basis in which no one else will be able to use it during the term of the license - or on a nonexclusive basis in which you may simultaneously license use of the material to several clients/customers. Those agreements by which others may use the content you still own are called "licenses". Or you may just sell your rights to the material outright. That's called an "assignment". Exclusive licenses and assignments need also to be registered with the Copyright Office. You may structure any of these things in many ways, a flat payment, periodic payments, or royalties of some nature. You may even grant rights to your licensees to sub-license the use of your material to others or you may withhold that.

It is important to have good legal compliance and strong, effective release, or there will be little commercial market for your product; any smart operator interested in your content will want to be able to use it without legal worries, and he or she will probably require you to promise to defend and indemnify him or her against any legal deficiency in the use of the content as contemplated by the license or assignment.

Best wishes!

Adult Film

J. D. Obenberger

Numerous trials, including jury trials, criminal and civil since 1979. Obscenity. Section 2257. Copyright. Trademark. Communications Decency Act Section 230. Right of Privacy/Right of Publicity. Defamation/Libel/Slander. Warning Pages. Adult Internet Sites. Strip Clubs/Gentlemen's clubs. Massage Parlors. Prostitution. I am the author and operator of, the most comprehensive online legal resource concerning the law of adult entertainment online.

I've been an attorney for 34 years, nearly 20 years as an attorney concentrating in adult entertainment law. Have spoken at 72 adult webmaster show legal seminars and forums in six nations, seven American states, and three provinces of Canada, have appeared on the O'Reilly factor concerning obscenity, have been published by Thompson-Gale. Full qualifications at My firm, J.D. Obenberger and Associates has provided representation in both criminal and civil matters for adult content producers, the operators of adult online businesses, as well as brick and mortar adult operations for nearly twenty years. We provide legal strategy, forms, protocols, and guidance for every kind of adult operation. Our clients find us available 24/7/365 in every emergency. My background includes numerous jury trials including the defense of major drug case in federal court on the Mexican border at Brownsville, forgery, sexual assaults, gun offenses, aggravated kidnapping, and such civil matters as pharmaceutical malpractice, premises and construction liability, and personal injury. I have prosecuted cases in the name of the United States while serving as a Captain in the United States Army Judge Advocate General's Corps. I have represented and advised clients in every part of the United States and from Hong Kong to Budapest. I am a regular columnist for XBIZ World and have published numerous articles in AVN and AVN Online and for YNOT.

First Amendment Lawyers' Association, Free Speech Coalition, National Rifle Association, American Legion.

AVN, XBIZ, YNOT, Online Pornography, published by Thompson-Gale.

Doctor of Law, 1979, University of Wisconsin Law School. Dean's List. Graduate, National Institute of Trial Advocacy. Guest Lecturer, John Marshall Law School. I have presented Continuing Legal Education for practicing attorneys. Undergrad BA, the University of Wisconsin, double major in Political Science and History. Graduate, 90th Basic Judge Advocate General's Course on the campus of the University of Virginia.

Army Commendation Medal awarded as a Captain, US Army Judge Advocate General's Corps, as the most requested criminal defense lawyer in the US Army, Europe.

No legal issue too great or too hot to handle, no client too small to deserve zealous and effective representation.