Adult Film/Custodian Of Records

Question
Hi J.D. I am starting an adult film company and I know that the Custodian of Records is mandatory. But Im not sure exactly how to find a Custodian of Records? Can I be the company's Custodian of Records? or Would you recommend hiring one?

Thank You
Melvin

Answer
If there is any possibility that a producer can act as his own custodian, he or she should do so. The use of an outside custodian should be the last option considered after all other options have been considered and found to be unworkable.

Violation of 18 USC 2257 carries with it a maximum punishment of five years in prison, and like all other felonies, it carries a world of disabilities, some of which are life-long in their consequences.

That's weighty. No one else in the world will care about your compliance as much as you do. If you engage a third-party custodian, that outsider does NOT risk prison for his failures in compliance, only you do. A non-employee custodian's liability is only civil, a breach of his or her obligations to you. Read the proposed contract with the independent custodians closely; most of those who do this commercially set the agreement out on their web pages. You will find limitations of liability that are, in consideration of the consequences that you face when they screw up, more or less shocking. It is not uncommon to see their liability to you limited to the money you paid them in one month as their fee. In other words, you pay them, you face all of the adversities and expenses of prosecution, much of your life may be destroyed, you may lose your business, your family, your good name, and you may be misidentified as a child sex offender, but all they face for even gross negligence or simply walking off the job is perhaps the cost of a meal in a nice restaurant.

Finally, every human enterprise ultimately fails, every business eventually closes, and every human being makes errors. Please consider the effects of each of these certainties when you decide whether you or a person you hire will hold in their hands the issue of whether you violate a serious federal criminal law.

Adult Film

J. D. Obenberger