Adult Film/What is a talent coordinator in the porn industry, what does a porn company's talent coordinator do?

Question
Greetings,
 For a long time I wanted to get into the Adult Industry working 'In the Office', as I am an alternative lifestyle, and seeing nude / sexual related stuff doesn't phase me in the slightest. While I initially wanted to be the 'Tech Support' all the computer related office systems (just as any other business) as the industry embraced technology full on, I noted that 99.9% of the time it is only Web Technologies specialist sought for. Now some 20+ years later of doing 'normal tech support' I have obtained my Bachelors in Business Systems Analysis, Masters in Information Systems, and ITIL Foundation Certification, yet I still see no 'IT Management' or other 'common' tech listings relative to the Adult Industries?
  Now I am seeing (normally only for women) Talent coordinator? What is this job's day-to-day tasks? What sort of key skills / background would qualify someone? Repeated research into companies doesn't provide any "About us" weblinks that usually links to the "Jobs" pages. Do you have anytips on someone with my Education, and decades of work experience can 'break into' the companies? Just as Macy's Corporate office needs to fill out paperwork, have tons of computers, systems, software and processes to support that 'business' side, I would expect the same of Vivid, etc. but I am just not seeing it???
   I am desperate to grow with a company, long term stability, and most of all the relief to not be 'stressed' over the more confining 'normal' jobs that are so restrictive and neutering on the individual.

Answer
Hello Tom,

Thanks for coming to me with your question.

The talent coordinator is like the choreographer on a Broadway musical. They instruct the male talent, for example, in a porn scene... "one, two, THRUST... one, two, THRUST... flap, shuffle, ball change... THRUST, THRUST, THRUST..."

LOL. Just kidding!

Talent coordinators are basically casting directors (or casting associates) for all or most of a production company's productions.

Mainstream Hollywood movie studios (which my Company - http://www.licensedmodels.com/ - works with as well, in addition to porn production studios) such as Dreamworks, Walt Disney Pictures, Warner Brothers, etc. will usually hire a casting director who is in charge of working with agents & talent to select the right talent for a project. (Final casting decisions, especially for larger roles, will be up to the producer &/or director, but the casting director does the "dirty work" of weeding out the potentials from unqualified candidates, etc.)

Since the big porn companies these days usually shoot (at least) a production each weekday, and sometimes several in a day, it doesn't make sense for the production company to hire a casting director for each little project.

Instead, they hire an in-house talent coordinator.

The talent coordinator, in the porn industry, does a lot of "go-sees", casting calls, and meetings with talent agents, talent managers, and their talent. A typical "go-see" involves a brief "hello... good morning" chat with the talent representative (there are only 12 - 15 "legit" talent reps in the straight American porn industry - and an even smaller number that are actually legit, meaning that they don't moonlight as pimps/madams, so the talent coordinators become pretty familiar with seeing our smiling faces), having the talent complete a brief application, securing a copy of the talent's ID... asking basic pertinent questions (i.e., finding out if the talent has a current adult-industry HIV/STD test, how many shoots they've done previously, etc.) and also securing a few nude snapshots of the talent to forward to your superiors for decision-making.

Talent coordinators in the porn industry also maintain the "shoot calendar" for all the directors working for the production company. If a talent has a problem (won't be making it to a shoot... will be running late... payment issues, etc.), the talent coordinator is usually the first person within the production company to learn about this... the primary ambassador or liaison between the production company and the talent and her agent/manager.

The talent coordinators we see regularly are indeed all mostly female (or gay men), have been in the porn industry for a LONG time - usually in other capacities, are sweet, friendly, and unbiased, yet they are "bulldogs" at the same time. (Although they're nice... they give off a "don't f*&k with me" aura.)

I do not know the answer to your broader question, to be honest. Why are porn companies listing talent coordinator jobs, but not IT jobs? I honestly don't know... could just be the season... maybe all those positions are currently filled by qualified folks.

But hopefully you'll find a great spot at an excellent Company, and be happy with your new job. That's my hope for you! Thanks again Tom!

Adult Film

Mike the Talent Manager