Adult Film/Booking a Porn Model through an Agency

Question
Hi there,

I am currently in the process of creating an adult website.  Currently, I am building up my content and I am still in the website design process.  I have been working with local talent, but I'd like to start booking some professional models through an agency.

What questions can I expect to get from a Modeling Agency when I request to book a model?  Obviously, I am doing my best to cover my legal bases.  I am getting 2 forms of Identification on file and the girls are signing a modeling waiver.

Can you please tell me what questions I will get from an agency when I request to book a model?

Thank you.

-Dave

Answer
Hi Dave,

Thanks for coming to me with your question.

Congratulations on your new venture. The establishment of the internet porn industry could use a healthy dose of competition right now.

When looking for sexy brand-new-to-the-industry female performers that show up on set properly trained, prepared, and with the best attitudes, top internet porn companies have known - since 2007 - to look to http://www.CrossoverModeling.com/ first! You should too!

I definitely recommend speaking to an adult industry attorney before proceeding with production, as "2 forms of identification on file and the girls... signing a modeling waiver" might not be quite enough to cover your ass - with regards to USC 2257 & other federal, state, & local laws - as a primary porn producer. Dan Pepper ( http://www.allexperts.com/ep/2706-100968/Adult-Film/Dan-Pepper.htm ), who is also available as an expert on this site, is very knowledgeable in this area. Make sure to mention to him that I referred you.

For starters, some porn model agencies require that you upload a copy of your govt.-issued ID to so much as join their mailing list.

Be prepared to identify yourself. This is an established gigantic (in terms of annual revenue) industry that's not-so-gigantic in terms of the key players. "(Almost) everybody knows (almost) everyone else" is true in this industry.

If you have established relationships with folks that are already in the industry, that will go a long way, in terms of reference checking by the porn model agency.

Being the top talent mgmt. group in the industry, http://www.CrossoverModeling.com/ (the Company I work for) regularly receives e-mails from wannabe "adult film producers", as well as legit (but new) porn producers, requesting access to our exclusive members-only website (where porn producers can actually view & book our exclusive contract models) & to be added to our mailing list.

If we receive an e-mail from "Joe Schmo" using a free internet service (Gmail, Yahoo, AOL, etc.) simply requesting, "Hi. I make porn. Please add me to your mailing list & create me an account on your producer website," we're likely to simply ignore the e-mail. That's because there's a lot of unanswered questions:

- Who the f&#k is Joe Schmo?

- What is Joe Schmo? A freelance "shooter", a director, a "competing" talent manager who wants to check out our roster of models, a producer / Owner, an employee of a production company, a photographer, or some horndog who wants to find a fancy new way to get laid - instead of using a free classified ad website? And - if he is legit - we wouldn't really have to ask, because Joe Schmo would have included this info in his original e-mail to us.

- Why is Joe Schmo e-mailing us from a free e-mail service? Isn't he supposedly an "internet" porn producer?

- Does Joe Schmo have any verifiable references from people in the industry? (If his references are actually in the industry, then a legit established agency will know these people.)

The agency wants to know that you're legit - honest, telling the truth about what you're offering.

BEFORE his arrest ( http://gfy.com/showthread.php?t=1073020 ) for scamming naive aspiring porn stars, Blaise Christie ( http://sexworkerproblems.tumblr.com/post/25912727920/scam-artist-porn-producer-b ) would call me, requesting to book my models. Finally, I had to tell him outright, "you are never going to book a single one of my Company's models - EVER, because I don't feel like I can trust you. You don't sound like a trustworthy man, or give off the trustworthy vibe". And I'm thankful that I made the right call. That's one of the main reasons why new porn girls need a talent manager, and that's one of the things that makes our Company #1... not all money is good money.

Porn model agencies want to know that their model(s) will be handled with professionalism & respect while on set - and throughout the entire shooting process (not only by you, personally, but by everyone on your set... that is your responsibility to insure, as the Producer). They'll want to know that they - and the model - will be paid, and paid the exact amount that you promised - exactly how & when you promise it.

When adult film producers without sufficient verifiable references book our Company's models, we'll usually advise our clients to require advance (up-front) payment for the first few projects. We may also insist on sending one of our reps to accompany the first few models on set.

You'll need to learn about adult film industry HIV / STD testing standards, and the agency will expect you to know about this. All talent assigned to work with the agency's models must be tested in accordance with industry standards, and the agency may request copies of the assigned talent(s) ID's & tests. (The tests can also be pulled up on the testing center's website, by the agency.)

Offering to pay for models' tests that need theirs renewed is also a way to make a good impression.

Once the porn agency feels comfortable with you, as a legit producer, you'll need to communicate:

- How much is the model getting paid?
- How is the model getting paid?
- When is the model getting paid?
- How much is the agency getting paid?
- How is the agency getting paid?
- When is the agency getting paid?
- What is the scene type? (B/G, G/G, B/B/G, B/G/G, ANAL, B.J., etc.)
- Where is the cum going? (creampie or internal pop, facial, swallow, etc.)
- What are the wardrobe requirements?
- If you're shooting models from out of your area, are you covering travel, hotel, taxi, etc.? (For how many nights?)
- Are any "little extras" going to be required on or off camera? (i.e., is the model going to be asked to give the director a blowjob, etc. This kind of crap DOES occur in the industry, and is an immediate deal breaker for legit porn agencies.)
- Is there a kill fee plan? (What if your male talent has trouble "getting it up" for 2 hours? That's not the agency's, or the model's, fault; so we should be paid as if the scene was completed, even if it isn't.)

In addition to the compensation for the model's work (around $900 - $1,000 for boy/girl vaginal - single pop), be prepared to pay an agency fee to the agency (usually $100 when the scene compensation is less than $1,000, and $150 when it's more than that).

Learn the industry lingo. When we receive e-mails from so-called porn producers from the U.S. requesting a model for a "M/F" (male/female) scene, we - right away - know that we're probably dealing with someone that's NOT part of the established American porn industry. We generally don't use that terminology in the industry.

Just a few ideas that will hopefully help.

Thanks again for your question.

Hakuna Matata,

Mike
Senior Vice President
www.CrossoverModeling.com
http://www.CrossoverModeling.com/

Adult Film

Mike the Talent Manager