Adult Film/Is it legal for girls to stream via webcams for subscribers to website?

Question
I live in Texas and I am considering a small business where i have girls livestream via my site.  they will range from simple dancing/stripping to playing with adult toys/masturbation.  If there is no sex between customer (subscribers) and the woman, is it legal to do this?

Answer
There are plenty of laws criminal laws that can be violated in the operation of a streaming webcam operation, and plenty of civil liability that can land on the head of the operator, too.

But there are ways to navigate through all of this and to accomplish what you propose in a legal manner. Good intentions are not enough. You must comply with all of the laws and you must take steps to protect yourself from liability.

There are unanswered questions about whether prostitution can be committed in a remote way, for example through what is sometimes called teledildonics. I don't know of any criminal prosecutions that have been brought under such a theory nor of any published appellate court decisions that assess the issues. It's not impossible that a court just might conclude that prostitution can be committed remotely, though my personal opinion is that, in the normal circumstances that I'd take for granted, it would be a real stretch of those prostitution statutes to be legitimately applied when the performer and the customer are many miles apart.

If you plan to explore a webcam project, contact my office or that of any other attorney competent in these issues before you do anything at all.

Best,

JD

Adult Film

J. D. Obenberger