Adult Film/Craigslist scammers

Question
Is there anything you can do legally if you got scammed by someone pretending to be in the adult movie business? And how can you easily spot any kind of scams on cl? Are there any legit modeling gigs involving nudity? And if so, how can you tell who is and who isn't? Thank you.

Answer
*Please forgive the formatting of this answer (with no paragraph breaks, etc.) It was properly formatted, and then got discombobulated, and I don't feel like re-formatting it.*

Thanks for coming to me with your questions. Now here are some for you. :-) What is the difference between somebody "pretending" to be in the adult movie business, and somebody that is actually "in" the adult movie business? Is it when they make their first dollar off of their movies? Is it when they pay their first dollar to a performer? Their first $1,000? $5,000? $100,000? Is it when they book their first performer/model from an agency? Is it when they get their DBA? When they first hit the "record" button? When they start shooting in HD? Their business license? When they rent/lease/buy some commercial real estate? Is it when the "establishment" of the porn industry starts to notice them? And what if the "establishment" of the porn industry notices them, but, for the most part, doesn't care for them? (Does that mean they're not legit?) I got one good answer (at least one that I thought was good) from one of our 19-year-old female models that happened to call in, while I was writing this response: MOTIVE. She says that it's possible for someone with a good heart, who is NOT outright trying to screw people over, to still be a novice (or even a beginner) LEGIT pornographer. Do you agree with her? Is it possible for a pretender (in this context) to eventually become legit? Even deeper... is it possible for somebody who was once legit to become a pretender? Is it possible for a porn company or pornographer to be considered legitimately legit by some, and not by others, all at the same time? And now that I've hopefully helped open your mind and given you some things to think about, here are some facts: - A person that got scammed by someone pretending to be in the adult movie business would NOT have been in that situation in the first place, had they secured the services of a legit talent management company (like the one I work for) and followed their talent manager's advice & counsel. - I am not a lawyer. I'm (amongst other things) a talent manager. - If someone committed a crime (against you or otherwise), then you can report them to the authorities (police, FBI, etc.) For example, if they wrote you a "bad check" or forced you to do something against your will, or drugged you, etc. - If someone committed a tort (a wrongful act or an infringement of a right (other than under contract) leading to civil legal liability) against you, then you might be able to sue them in court. For the most part (roughly 90% - 99% of the time, when dealing with porn modeling matters), you can easily spot scams on CL by the mere fact that they are there. Legit porn production companies generally don't search for talent on classified ad websites such as Craigslist, so - most of the time - if it's on CL, then it's not legit. Of course there are legit modeling gigs involving nudity. I'm sure you've heard of Playboy, Penthouse, Hustler, Digital Desire, etc.? These are some common big name examples. (Not to mention legit hardcore porn... that's legit modeling involving nudity too, right?!) :-) To answer your final question, it's not about totally shutting off your senses, your brain, and your intuition, but - frankly - (assuming that you are an aspiring model) that's not your job! That's right. It's not your job to determine who is, and who isn't, legit. That's not the proper way to start or expand a modeling career. You are the (aspiring) model. The entertainment industry is setup with producers, photographers, agents, managers, models, etc. The job of determining legitimacy really falls on your agent and/or manager. With a legit agency, that job was already done YEARS ago when your agent established relationships with all the legit companies in the industry. Now he sends you out to go work with those legit companies... and YOUR JOB is to make sure you show up on set ready-to-rock (cock), and give a good performance. Hakuna Matata, Mike Senior V.P. www.CrossoverModeling.com http://www.crossovermodeling.com/

Adult Film

Mike the Talent Manager