Adult Film/buying the rights to an amateur porn

Question
Hello,

I would like to buy the rights to an amateur porn video that was filmed several years ago and is now hosted on a porn website. A waiver was signed at the time so it is legal for the video to be on the website. However, the person in it regrets having done it and would like it taken down hence the need to buy the rights.

How would I go about it? what type of attorney/lawyer should I hire?

Thanks.

Answer
Over the past fifteen years or so, I've been involved in this issue - but almost all the time, representing the photographer or the website. So, I have a pretty intimate knowledge of the issues and you're free to contact me through my website, xxxlaw.com. But read what I say about conflicts of interest, below. I applies to all lawyers, including myself.

What lawyers in general are best able to help your friend? I'd recommend a lawyer who does know adult content photography, who knows the value of video content, and who knows the inside of the right of publicity, the law of copyright, and the law of contracts. He should know the industry - and be known by the industry, too. I would never, for this purpose, use a lawyer who is a stranger to the law of adult content. The trouble you'll have is that the lawyers who practice in this field tend to represent the publishers, not the performers - and there are some odds that the website publisher you wish to contact for purchase of that content may have already used one of the small number of lawyers practicing in this area - the lawyer you want - resulting in such a conflict of interest, that the lawyer whom you want to hire can't negotiate adversely to his past or present client. He may also come to the conclusion that doing this case for you just might close the door to ever get steady work from the publisher you wish to contact. That will always be more lucrative than representing the interests of a stray performer here or there. This does make it tricky.

There is also a "fixer" whom I've dealt with in the past who successfully negotiated for the purchase of all rights and a takedown. He's not a lawyer, but a Winston Wolf sort of guy who can get to the heart of issues and resolve them - and this works, if you are prepared to pay the value of what you want to buy. He was a real gentleman, a true problem solver, and he actually did much better for his client than any lawyer I've dealt with in this connection. I don't know how he was compensated, but I'll bet he's not cheap. So it doesn't absolutely require a lawyer.

Best wishes to you in any event.

Adult Film

J. D. Obenberger