Adultery/Complete & utter regret and remorse

Question
I have to first compliment my husband of nearly 11 1/2 years.  He is a wonderful husband and father. I have two incredible kids. Even typing that makes me wonder why I would do what I did.  I met a man in a bar while visiting a friend out of town.  We had a small kiss in the bar and exchanged numbers.  For nearly 2 months we texted frequently, spoke on the phone a few times and became close.  My husband found one of our texts which was extremely 'juicy' as he described it.  My life changed that instant.  I thought my life as I knew it was over.  But my wonderful husband wanted me close and instantly wanted to figure out how to work through this.  I ended the 'relationship' instantly.  I am going to seek counseling, as I believe part of my problem stems from childhood issues.
Should I try to figure out the root cause and work on repairing myself before we move toward marriage counseling?  I've talked about counseling for years, as I definitely have issues when it comes to men (My parents divorced when I was 7 due to my father cheating on my mom.  The irony is not lost on me.).  This is a real wake up call for me to fix myself, but not sure if I should start there or if we should do marriage counseling first.

Answer
Hi Jennie,

Yes, you should work on your issues; however, if you don't do something that includes your husband in this process, he may feel that the problem isn't being addressed. He may feel left out. This is really a question that you should address with him.

Sincerely,

Laura Giles

Adultery

Laura Giles