Hi Laura,
I'm hoping you can help me. I tried seeking info from a religious expert on this, but all I received was a complicated bible verse that I couldn't understand.
Temptation is a word I feel gets thrown around a lot, but I found myself asking what exactly does it mean. I do know that it involves wanting to do something you shouldn't, something wrong. But is there more to it than that? What I mean is, when someone says they are tempted, can it simply mean they want to do something wrong, but never consider doing it and never come close to actually doing it? Or for a person to be tempted, do they also need to consider it, or come close to doing it? For example, my married friend says she wants to sleep with another man(simply has the desire), but doesn't consider doing it and doesn't come close to actually doing it. Is that her being tempted, or just wanting something?
I apologize for the long question, just need some clarification.

To tempt is to entice. That's it. You don't have to succumb to it. You don't have to have an intention of following through. If something is enticing, it is also tempting.

Wanting is similar, but not the same. I might want a drink of water, but I don't find it tempting. If I look at someone with lust in my eyes, I may find that tempting, but I also may not want to feel that way or to follow through with it.

Laura Giles

Laura Giles

Marital, relationship, adultery, children out of wedlock, divorce, custody, visitation, support, co-parenting, mediation, counseling, group counseling, step-parenting, pre-marital, and reconciling issues

I teach parent education classes and a group for people who are trying to strengthen their relationships in addition to providing individual counseling. I am the author of "The Other Child: Children of Affairs."

National Registry of Who's Who in Executive Professionals
National Guild of Hypnotists
National Association of Social Workers
Honorary chairman of the Business Advisory Council
Virginia Mediation Network

The Other Child: Children of Affairs, The Daily Herald (Chicago), New You, The Journal Gazette, Almeda Times-Star, Tacoma News Tribune, East West Woman. Tidewater Women, Dimensions

BS in Human Services Counseling- Old Dominion University
Master of Social Work- Norfolk State University Licensed clinical social worker