Advanced Math/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Fluid Mechanics2/15/2017randy patton
  Q: Given a 2D flow u=alpha*x and w=-alpha*z, show the fluid particle positions. I have x(t)= ...
  A: I can see that you recognize that velocity and position are related by a derivative of time, namely, ...
Mathematical constants with units.2/12/2017Scott A Wilson
  Q: Can Mathematical constants be defined with units similar to physical constants? Example - PI ...
  A: There are two others I know of - e and i. The numbers e is used in the function f(x) = e^x. From ...
Help2/10/2017randy patton
  Q: Gm Sir the question which u had replied I not understood , I asked that can u help me . Sir my ...
  A: Aishwarya, I am not sure what knowledge you are asking for specifically but it looks like you are ...
Tensor Notation2/5/2017randy patton
  Q: Using suffix notation and the summation convention, prove that U . Del(u) = w x u + Del(1/2q^2) ...
  A: The answer requires a math editor and so I need to attach figures. I'm assuming you know the basics ...
Fish tanks in Commercial Airlines.1/27/2017Scott A Wilson
  Q: Is it feasible to install and maintain Fish tanks in Commercial Airlines as part of interior ...
  A: Before I answer the question, I will say the units will be in English (and metric). If it feasible? ...
linear algebra1/13/2017randy patton
  Q: i'm having trouble to find the trace in given problem... Que. Let In & On denote nn identity and ...
  A: I think the trace of X should be zero. Here's my derivation: Traces have some simple and useful ...
linear algebra1/2/2017randy patton
  Q: Let S be the subspace of Mnn (the vector space of all nn matrices) of the form AB-BA with A,B in ...
  A: For A and B are in Mnxn, the form S = AB - BA, is called a commutator, made famous by the ...
abstract algebra12/7/2016Socrates
  Q: Sir,I'am having trouble to solve this question.it's taking much time to solve... Que. Let S10 ...
  A: I can give you a quick answer , assuming you know a bit about permutations and conjugates. Let C be ...
Randomly dividing a number12/3/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: I am working on a restaurant assignment and feel really lost. What number combinations can $355,546 ...
  A: I used a spreadsheet (by Excel). Note that is the value is in ' ', I only input what is between the ...
Width Follpw-up11/29/2016Janet Yang
  Q: A wooden plaque (square) has a metal inlay (square) in the center, with a wooden strip of uniform ...
  A: area of metal = y area of wood = x-y y:(x-y) = 25:39 39y = 25(x-y) = 25x - 25y 64y = ...
Functional analysis11/21/2016randy patton
  Q: Plz Give me an example of an unitary operator on an infinite dimentional hilbert space...thank u sir ...
  A: We can take as an example of an infinite Hilbert space the space of complex functions f of a complex ...
Math10/18/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: 1. What is the formula to determine the number of squares in a square box divided into 16 squares? ...
  A: 1. If there are n squares in the box and each square in a box is divided into 16 squares, the ...
approximate value of the sum of two real numbers10/11/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Consider that 3 is an approximation to a real number x with an error below 0.2 and that -4 is an ...
  A: Thy symbol is for plus or minus. As in 1 0.3 is used for a number between 0.7 and 1.3. We are ...
Chemical reactions between acids with acids.10/1/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: What will be the chemical reactions between acids mixed together with different Combinations? ...
  A: From what I remember of chemistry, there is no chemical reaction among acids. Reactions only occurs ...
Logarithms9/21/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: What's the point of having natural logarithms when you can just have log to the base of 2.7? (which ...
  A: The value of the letter e is determined by bankers and mathematicians. For bankers, though in ...
Combinations9/21/2016Paul Klarreich
  Q: I am learning basic probability. Please help me solve the following probability problem, which seems ...
  A: Questioner:JohnnyX Country:Norway Category:Advanced Math Private:No Subject:Basic ProbabilityI ...
Rubik's cube variation.9/18/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Will there be any variation in Rubik's cube if instead of six colors, there are three colors say ...
  A: If three of the sides are colors and three of the sides are numbers, there will be no variation. ...
Uppercase and Lowercase vowels and consonants in Scrabble game.9/14/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Will it be useful to have both uppercase and lowercase vowels and consonants in Scrabble word power ...
  A: I don't think it would be useful to have lower case letters. If, for example, the word, 'FISH' was ...
Trigonometry8/29/2016Paul Klarreich
  Q: Find the exact value of the sine, cosine, and tangent of 210. and Find cot (290). Point P ...
  A: Questioner:adelefair Country:New Jersey, United States Category:Advanced Math Private:No ...
Composition of Functions8/25/2016randy patton
  Q: Express the function f(x) = 1/(x+1) in the form goh. If h(x) = x+1, find the function g(x). f(x) = ...
  A: Defining h(x) = 1+x is a good start. Now we want to end up with f(x) = 1/(x+1) which would be f(x) ...
Please help give some comment8/11/2016Paul Klarreich
  Q: I found this "note" on my school computer and would like to ask if you think it makes any sense, ...
  A: I am afraid this 'note' is simply incoherent rambling from someone who has nothing to say but loves ...
Eigen Values7/27/2016randy patton
  Q: Patton, I am an engineering graduate..I have done vector calculus and matrix algebra. One thing ...
  A: I agree that eigenvalues and eigenvectors can be a bit of a mystery. Ive come to think of ...
Confusing Rates7/26/2016Sombra Shadow
  Q: What is a simple solution to the following? If 20 men can paint 5 houses in 10 days, how many days ...
  A: 20 men can paint 5 houses in 10 days so that is 4 houses every 10 days per man. At that rate 40 men ...
Ferris/Giant Wheel Electronic toy design.7/26/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Is it possible to design a Ferris wheel electronic toy operated by a remote control and having push ...
  A: To view a few, just type, "Ferris Wheel," in the search box. I not only answered this question, but ...
T square and Set square construction materials.7/26/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Which of the following can be considered as the best material for constructions T square and Set ...
  A: I would not use rubber, for that would make the square two flexible. If glass were used, the square ...
Amount Invested7/26/2016Janet Yang
  Q: A, B, C, and D invest $s. B invests m times as much as A, C as much as A and B combined, and D as ...
  A: "A, B, C, and D invest $s." A+B+C+D = s "B invests m times as much as A" B = mA "C invests as much ...
Partial Differential Equations comprising of complex numbers.7/25/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Can Partial Differential Equations comprise of complex numbers? Thanks Prashant
  A: Yes, and I'll give a simple one. It can something as simple as f' - if = 0. In that case, f(x) = ...
Simultaneous equations having complex numbers.7/23/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Can Simultaneous equations have complex numbers and can be solved? Example (1+2i)x+(2+3i)y=5 ...
  A: Yes they can. For the 1st equation, multiply by the conjugate of 1 + 2i (which is 1 - 2i). For the ...
Symbolic logic and Venn diagrams.7/20/2016Paul Klarreich
  Q: I want to ask whether my understanding of mathematical statements and their converse, inverse, ...
  A: Questioner:Apoorv Country:India Category:Advanced Math Private:Yes --- CORRECTED. Subject: ...
Compute exponentiation of two complex numbers.7/20/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Can we compute the exponentiation of two complex numbers? Example - 1+2i and 2+3i I.e 1+2i raised ...
  A: Yes, it can be done. They have found that complex numbers allow all operations to be done. Note ...
Compute Average of few complex numbers.7/14/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Can we compute average of few complex numbers?. Thanks Prashant
  A: Yes. If we had the number 1+2i, 3+5i, and 5+5i, the average would be (1+3+5)/3 + [(2+5+5)/3]I. The ...
A level Maths. remainder theorem7/4/2016Ahmed Salami
  Q: when a polynomial f(x) is divided by (x-3) the remainder is -9 and when divided by (2x-1), the ...
  A: From the information provided about the remainders when f(x) is divided by each of x-3 and 2x-1, we ...
trignometry6/29/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: sec^6x-tan^6x-3sec^2x*tan^2x=1 how to prove
  A: At 1st I will used the way I know clearly. Note that sec(x) = 1/cos(x) and tan(x) = sin(x)/cos(x). ...
trignometry6/29/2016Janet Yang
  Q: sec^6x-tan^6x-3sec^2x*tan^2x=1 how to prove this identity
  A: sec⁶θ - tan⁶θ - 3secθtanθ = (secθ -tanθ) ...
Sequence6/21/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: Starting a sequence with these four items: (2,-4);(16,-10); (54,-16);(128,-22) ... The question ...
  A: The 2nd sequence is -4, -10, -16, -22 ... After looking at this, the difference is -6. This gives ...
Vectors6/15/2016Scott A Wilson
  Q: The lines l1 passes through the point A whose position vector is i + 3j -4k and is parallel to the ...
  A: Sorry about the delay, but I just got to the question. The variables to be used are a, b, and c. ...
Solve this equation for x6/13/2016randy patton
  Q: Trying to solve x*(x^x)=a for x, this is what I tried: $$x*(x^x)=a$$ $$x^{x+1}=a$$ ...
  A: I don't think this expression has a closed form formula for x. The best you can hope for is a series ...
Garden: Width, Area5/18/2016Janet Yang
  Q: A rectangular garden is to contain an acre. Length: 80 yards. Determine width. Outside area: ...
  A: I'm assuming that the "outside area" is not part of the garden. garden area = 80 yd W yd = 4,840 ...
help5/17/2016Sombra Shadow
  Q: Sir i want an help from you that in our school there is a skit in ''invention of numbers" . Can you ...
  A: Numbers began as tic marks on caves where each tic mark represented an item, whether it be a child, ...
Relations( concerning sets)4/19/2016Ahmed Salami
  Q: I've started doing sums from 11th grade books and in the second chapter concerning relations between ...
  A: The modulus of a complex number z = a + bi is given by the positive value of |z| = √(a + b) ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10   |  Next

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson

Top Expert on this page