Advanced Math/Quiz qustion

xerix wrote at 2009-10-29 06:56:49
So obviously current date is at the end of one month and the new date is at the beginning of the next month.

The last few days of a month can be  either of 22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31 ( taking into a/c that some months have 30 days,31 days or 28 days for Feb ).

Of these only 25 and 30 are exactly divisible by 5 ( for the 1/5th relation given in the prob statement to hold true).

If its 25th now it will be 5th of next month but the difference is more than 7 days - even for Feb(25~5).

If its 30th now it will be 6th of next month. This is within the 7 day reach given that the current month is a 30 day month < will be possible only for end of Sep,Apr,Jun,Nov.

So she will be Libra or Taurus or Cancer or Saggitarus.

Need more data to pin down exact month.

(Lighter side.. might be a good idea to Linda Goodman to see what sunsign female teacaher would give such an asnwer to such a direct/simple question).

RebeccaS wrote at 2010-03-05 18:49:31
The answer is that she is a Pisces. Using the logic in the last response, she is 29 now and by the end of the week the one fifth of her new age is 6 (1/5th of 30) But the only time that the 6th can fall in to the same week is in the month of February on a leap year.  :)

Akash wrote at 2012-07-12 20:33:14
She is 29. Today being 29th of February the 7th day from today is  6th of March. She is a Pisces.

Harry wrote at 2014-09-28 17:37:39
The correct answer is pisces.  It cannot work for any other month.  The dates in question must be the 29th of the month and the 6th of the next month.  Thus, she would be 29 on the 29th and 30 by the 6th of the next month.  This can only occur in February during a leap year as all other months have 30 or 31 days so you would never reach the 6th day of the next month within a week.  Remember this is an adult (i.e. a teacher so single digit ages are not relevant).  

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson

I can answer any question in general math, arithetic, discret math, algebra, box problems, geometry, filling a tank with water, trigonometry, pre-calculus, linear algebra, complex mathematics, probability, statistics, and most of anything else that relates to math. I can also say that I broke 5 minutes for a mile, which is over 12 mph, but is that relevant?

Experience in the area; I have tutored people in the above areas of mathematics for over two years in I have tutored people here and there in mathematics since before I received a BS degree back in 1984. In just two more years, I received an MS degree as well, but more on that later. I tutored at OSU in the math center for all six years I was there. Most students offering assistance were juniors, seniors, or graduate students. I was allowed to tutor as a freshman. I tutored at Mathnasium for well over a year. I worked at The Boeing Company for over 5 years. I received an MS degreee in Mathematics from Oregon State Univeristy. The classes I took were over 100 hours of upper division credits in mathematical courses such as calculus, statistics, probabilty, linear algrebra, powers, linear regression, matrices, and more. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degrees. Past/Present Clients: College Students at Oregon State University, various math people since college, over 7,500 people on the PC from the US and rest the world.

My master's paper was published in the OSU journal. The subject of it was Numerical Analysis used in shock waves and rarefaction fans. It dealt with discontinuities that arose over time. They were solved using the Leap Frog method. That method was used and improvements of it were shown. The improvements were by Enquist-Osher, Godunov, and Lax-Wendroff.

Master of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematics. Bachelor of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematical sciences. This degree involved mathematics, statistics, and computer science. I also took sophmore level physics and chemistry while I was attending college. On the side I took raquetball, but that's still not relevant.

I earned high honors in both my BS degree and MS degree from Oregon State. I was in near the top in most of my classes. In several classes in mathematics, I was first. In a class of over 100 students, I was always one of the first ones to complete the test. I graduated with well over 50 credits in upper division mathematics.

My clients have been students at OSU, people who live nearby, friends with math questions, and several people every day on the PC. I would guess that you are probably going to be one more.