Advanced Math/Solve for r in monthy compound interest formula

buba dumb dumb wrote at 2010-11-05 15:58:26
Haha, you did it wrong! you can't take both sides of the equation to the (1/60) until you move the 2000 to the other side. The power of 60 only affects whats inside the parenthesis.

BiocideJ wrote at 2010-11-05 18:51:32
I came across this answer because I too needed something similar, however, there is a slight problem with the previously posted answer.

The 2000 needs to be moved BEFORE the exponent so the corrected final formula would be:

r = 12*[{(3586.86/2000)^(1/60)}-1]

or in terms of the variables...

r = n * [{(A/p)^(1/nt)}-1]

Sarah wrote at 2012-02-08 05:30:33
You would actually want to divide by 2000 before you take both sides to the (1/60) So your steps would be as follows:

Original Problem

3586.58=2000 (1+r/12)^60

Step 1: Divide both sides by 2000 and get:

Step 2: take both sides to the ^(1/60) and get:

(3586.58/2000)^(1/60)= 1+r/12

Step 3: Subtract 1 from both sides and get:

Step 4: Multiply both sides by 12 to get r alone:

It's a minor mistake that leads to a slightly different number if done the other way.

Wei Chen wrote at 2013-02-21 21:17:11
You can find r using this formula

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson

I can answer any question in general math, arithetic, discret math, algebra, box problems, geometry, filling a tank with water, trigonometry, pre-calculus, linear algebra, complex mathematics, probability, statistics, and most of anything else that relates to math. I can also say that I broke 5 minutes for a mile, which is over 12 mph, but is that relevant?

Experience in the area; I have tutored people in the above areas of mathematics for over two years in I have tutored people here and there in mathematics since before I received a BS degree back in 1984. In just two more years, I received an MS degree as well, but more on that later. I tutored at OSU in the math center for all six years I was there. Most students offering assistance were juniors, seniors, or graduate students. I was allowed to tutor as a freshman. I tutored at Mathnasium for well over a year. I worked at The Boeing Company for over 5 years. I received an MS degreee in Mathematics from Oregon State Univeristy. The classes I took were over 100 hours of upper division credits in mathematical courses such as calculus, statistics, probabilty, linear algrebra, powers, linear regression, matrices, and more. I graduated with honors in both my BS and MS degrees. Past/Present Clients: College Students at Oregon State University, various math people since college, over 7,500 people on the PC from the US and rest the world.

My master's paper was published in the OSU journal. The subject of it was Numerical Analysis used in shock waves and rarefaction fans. It dealt with discontinuities that arose over time. They were solved using the Leap Frog method. That method was used and improvements of it were shown. The improvements were by Enquist-Osher, Godunov, and Lax-Wendroff.

Master of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematics. Bachelor of Science at OSU with high honors in mathematical sciences. This degree involved mathematics, statistics, and computer science. I also took sophmore level physics and chemistry while I was attending college. On the side I took raquetball, but that's still not relevant.

I earned high honors in both my BS degree and MS degree from Oregon State. I was in near the top in most of my classes. In several classes in mathematics, I was first. In a class of over 100 students, I was always one of the first ones to complete the test. I graduated with well over 50 credits in upper division mathematics.

My clients have been students at OSU, people who live nearby, friends with math questions, and several people every day on the PC. I would guess that you are probably going to be one more.