Advanced Math/linearity of a scatter plot

Question
Hello Scott,

I am working with a data set and I have produced a scatter plot with x and y paired data.  I used the Excel trendline analysis to develop the equation for the best fit line through these data points.

When I compared the slope of my line to what the customer has provided they are different.  Since we are using the same set of data, how this possible?  Shouldn't our slope, intercept for this linear equation be the same?  Is there more than one technique/method for finding the equation of a line?  

Without looking like and idiot to my customer, I would like to better understand how my customer could arrive at a different linear model than what I came up with.

Thanks,

Allen

Answer
The only way I know to fit a straight line is usinig Linear Regression (LR).
That is, construct the matrix
As + Bt = D
Bs + Ct = E
where A is the number of points, B is the sum of the x values,
C is the sum of the values squared, D is the sum of the y values,
and E is the sum of the xy values.

If we have the points  (1,1), (2,4), and (3,5), we get
A = 3, for there being 3 points.  This gives B = 1+2+3 = 6, C = 1+2+3 = 1+4+9 = 14,
D = 1+4+5 = 10, and E = 1*1 + 2*4 + 3*5 = 1 + 8 + 15 = 24.

This gives the matrix
3   6  10
6  14  24.

Solving gives s = -2/3 and t = 2.
This means the equation would be y = 2x - 2/3.
The approximate values would be 1 1/3, 3 1/3, 5 1/3.
The errors of approximation are then +1/3, -2/3, and +1/3.
The sum of errors is 0 and the line can be seen to be
high at either end and low in the middle.

According to http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LinearRegression.html
this is the most common form to fit a line.

As can be seen in the paper, this form of approximation is also referred to as
Least Squares Fitting, Multiple Regression, Regression, and other terms.

Advanced Math

Scott A Wilson