Advanced Math/Algebra Question

Question
Referring to the earlier question that I sent to you about the "coefficient" of "x^2/2", I now think that maybe the coefficient could be "1" (1x^2/2) is the same as (x^2/2), correct?

Answer
A swing and a miss! Glad you're thinking through this. The coefficient of any term that contains the variable x raised to an exponent, such as x^y (y = exponent = 2 in your example) is equal to the constant is that is multiplying x^y, even if it is somewhat jumbled up algebriacally. Per the previous answer regarding this monomial, you need to isolate the x^y part and then declare whatever is multiplying it as the coefficient. Thus, for example

3x^y/6 = (3/6)(x^y) = (1/2)(x^y) -> coefficient is 1/2.

Note that, in the left most expression above, we have used the order-of-operations convention that exponentiation is performed first followed by multiplication and division (in either order) followed by addition and subtraction (the latter 2 operations don't appear in the example). If this concept is unclear, send me a follow-up.

Randy  

Advanced Math

randy patton