Advanced Math/Algebra Question - Read first before responding to earlier message

For the Algebra Question that I had sent to you earlier, I now realize something else. Maybe the answer to the next consecutive natural number to "n" could be "2n". Because after "1n" would be "2n". Correct?

Let me try to clear up any confusion. The natural numbers are integers, aka the counting numbers like 1,2,3,...n, etc., where n is the "nth" integer. Each number in the sequence is separated from its nearest neighbors by 1, for example the integer 3 is 2 plus 1 and also 4 minus 1. So if you have any number in the sequence, denoted by n, then the next integer in the sequence is 1 greater than n, or n+1.

The sequence is obtained by ADDING 1 to the current integer under consideration, not multiplying. The letter "n" is just a symbolic way of designating a particular, but not explicitly specified, integer n the sequence.

Advanced Math

randy patton

college mathematics, applied math, advanced calculus, complex analysis, linear and abstract algebra, probability theory, signal processing, undergraduate physics, physical oceanography

26 years as a professional scientist conducting academic quality research on mostly classified projects involving math/physics modeling and simulation, data analysis and signal processing, instrument development; often ocean related

J. Physical Oceanography, 1984 "A Numerical Model for Low-Frequency Equatorial Dynamics", with M. Cane

M.S. MIT Physical Oceanography, B.S. UC Berkeley Applied Math

Also an Expert in Oceanography